German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have a puppy that keeps jumping up on you and others and scratching you with her claws? You try to turn your back and ignore her when she does it. After a while, she then walks around you and jumps on your back. If I get another dog that does that, I'd like to know how to handle it. Thank you.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I'd give a RMB(chill pill for pups) and crate her.

Or play with a tug toy if she wasn't teething hard. Pups love to play tug, or with a flirtpole, it wears them out. Mix up some obedience commands while you play.
The jumping/scratching is a sign they want to interact. If you aren't into interaction then the crate would be the best thing. When children are involved, pups will try to act as littermates so jumping is normal, it is hard to get them to understand that it is not acceptable, especially the babies. Giving a firm NO and redirect, but that doesn't always work, removing the pup is best til they get a bit more mature in their head.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Trim the nails, bend down to pet the puppy and keep a finger through the collar so he can't jump up, step away so he can't jump on you, exercise him more, toss a toy, and otherwise ignore it until he grows out of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts