German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, out in the boat, I counted about twenty yellow labs on shore,& in boats. I told my DH that for every lab we see =$1 could add to the gas tank(lets go around again)! Well today on another lake, I saw two GSD's in the water and very few labs!!! I was so happy! On the way, we got gas and there was one in a suv next to us. I just want to connect w/owners and talk dog talk...didn't want to take our dogs as it was high 90's and they are better off in the ac at home. Though there was a malumute in a boat, hot---not in the water at the sandbar...btw this is my 100th post! woo~hoo:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
i never see any gsd out,execpt when i went to dog training classes.
but when i'm out with my 2 gsd' i get a lots of compliments. a lots!!!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I never see them either... A few times I've seen them at the dog park. Theres a white male, big guy that comes. I haven't seen him since before I got Logan though. Tessa would follow him around the dog park even though he was really shy and didn't interact with the other dogs. I thought it was so adorable, she knew her own kind
I've talked to his owner. And one time I saw a gorgeous blk/tan saddle back at the dog park. I wanted to go talk to the owners, but they were there with some other people talking in a tight circle and being quite rude (someone had not picked up a pile of poop, and the pointed it out, laughed, and moved away from it. I'm sure I don't catch my dogs pooping 100% of the time, and sometimes I can't find it when they went across the field! So if I see a pile someone else missed, I get it. Its the polite thing to do).

Those are the only other GSDs Ive seen in my city
But I do get comments from people when out with mine! I get a lot of comments at the dog park about how well behaved and trained my dogs are. I thank them and say its a work in progress!

·
Registered
553 Posts
We see a few around here. There's a black on in the back-side of our neighborhood, and we usually see a couple at Petsmart.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Usually stop and chat with the owners, except if it's Paul and his dog Cyrus - lol, don't know about Paul but Cyrus doesn't like redheads!

·
Registered
114 Posts
my kids get mad at me because I alway yell "LOOK A GSD" and they say mom you are obsessed , and I say well there are worse things to be obsessed about, and I also think I could crash the car trying to get a really good look at it

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I find myself swerving to look at horses as I drive... Lol. No accidents yet though! But Ive swerved a bit into the left lane, or gone onto the shoulder a bit while trying to get a good look...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I really check them out to see if I can tell what lines they are from. If my husband ever caught me looking at another man the way I will look at a dog I'd be in deep doo doo.
But he never has to worry, I've always thought at group of dogs are more interesting than any group of men.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my kids think I am obsessed, too! I know where a few live during out travels around town and am always looking for them! I saw a beautiful longcoat at a small park and turned around to get a better look, my dogs were with me and when I started talking to the owner, my pup was barking so much I couldn't hear what he was saying! So I had to leave. His dog was huge and really pretty, I wanted to know where he came from....

·
Registered
636 Posts
I live in a small town, and I think that Rex is the only GSD for miles!!! That works for me, as if for some reason, he took off, everyone would know who to call!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here I was thinking that Codi was the only GSD in our area and yet yesterday, while delivering pamphlets, I stopped at one house and this GSD came bounding out (only looked like 7/8 mnths old) and I started chatting away to the dog and my sister gave me a strange look as if to say..."Are you mad?"

What can I say? Ya just can't help yourself when there's a GSD around? hehe.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
What do I do?

Well I immediately want another one of course!

·
Registered
603 Posts
We have a male on the street behind us and though he's not too
friendly we constantly talk to his owner if she's out when we're
walking by. She loves to see Kayla. Two streets behind us there is
another male-longcoat-gorgeous boy-and Kayla and he get to play
together from time to time while his momma and I talk.
When we're out and about driving around we do see a few out
walking. Yes and I can't help staring and get excited when we see
one. Look! Look! Another Sheppie!! I love seeing other ones and
talking to their moms or dads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never knew there were so many sheps before I got mine. Now I seem to see them everywhere! (Including three others in my neighborhood--we are all on different walking schedules though and I always wonder if the non-GSD neighbors can even tell the dogs apart).

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I very rarely see any, I have one female in class that my guy loves, but I have never seen one while out walking. All I get to see are Labs, and little dogs, and the occasional Labradoodle (sp?) no fun where I am. LOL

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
We've met a couple of other GSDs while we were out and about. If they're walking our way and their dog is being friendly, we usually go and talk to them, and we make sure to tell them their GSD is gorgeous (especially on the rare occasion that we see one that's actually to the standard...)!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I didn't use to see many around but suddenly there are lots of them! Diesel played with a black GSD the other day and they played so well together it really made me want another one!

I my family we have a total of 5 Shepherds! Diesel is mine, Jess belongs to my Aunt and Uncle, Shania was my Grandma's dog but another Uncle has her now and Jett and Jagger live with yet another uncle!

·
Registered
541 Posts
If I hadn't read the AKC stats for myself, I would think gsds were unpopular dogs. The only time I have seen other gsds was at the NE OH specialty. And I do go out on walks, rides, to parks and pet stores. Where are they all hiding?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't see gsd's much either....there is one down the road from me. however I just saw it really good yesterday and the poor pup looks to be in bad shape
maybe old or something but seems to be losing all it's hair like it has mange. however on a brighter note there are a lot of gsd lovers! when I go to pet smart I always have a bunch of people over talking to me about faith. alot of them had shephards at home....it's like a mental thing that draws you to other gsd owners. we all figure we all love the breed why not talk to one another.
gotta love the GSD and I do believe I have almost wrecked as well looking at other GSD's.lol.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts