German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking lately after working with some of my clients and seeing how people bond from observing. But I want to see what feed back you guys have regarding this.

Both working/ competetive dog (actively training and titling) owners and pet dog (a beloved family member who does casual obedience) owners are encourage to weigh in on this. I want EVERY one to give me a description of how and what you do to bond with your dog, and what you consider as a definition for a good bond. When you look at your dog, what is your first indication in your brain that says "yes we have a good bond because__"

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't do anything special to bond with my dogs.
i think through feeding, training, socializing, being
around the dog, taking care of the dog the bond happens.
what does a dog do that's not bonded with you? does
a dog really have a bonding emotion? if you have a dog
that's not trained or socialized is there a bond?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I agree with DoggieDad. I think most of the bonding comes from the everyday care you do with your dog. In the 5 months I've had with my girl, everyday that passes I find that we get to know each other more and more. The quirks, the strengths, the weaknesses....and I do my best to work with her and not set her up to fail.

My favourite "bonding moments" are the ones when Juno gets onto my lap in the evening when I'm watching telly, rests her head on my chest, and looks up at me with those big brown eyes, and those expressive German Shepherd "eyebrows" and heaves a great big contended sigh before falling asleep on me. I live for those moments. (Even if I do end up losing sensation in my legs for the time she's sitting on me!)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I run with my male dog, I feel like we bond that way since we both love to run. I appreciate what he does for me in helping me get through my workouts, and he makes me focus on something other than how I am feeling, and makes me be aware of how he is doing too (so he doesn't overdo it).

With my female, we have special cuddle time in the morning before her walk. Just me and her. We both enjoy that.

Otherwise, I have felt that teaching my dogs a new skill to be a great bonding exercise. Since these two dogs are my first dogs that I have ever owned, I am learning too. So we both learn together. :)

Going places together is also a bonding experience, even if it is just the weekly trip to the library. I like to do a once a week trip with just one dog, usually Niko since he needs the socialization more than Rosa does. So I will take him to the library with me and then we'll walk around the park in town. It's hard for him, since he's a reactive dog, but every week I see good improvements and I think he gains confidence in himself and also in me. And I in turn gain confidence in him as well as myself as a dog handler.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I feel the strongest connection with my dogs when we're out walking or hiking. They are usually off leash and I'm often reminded of how connected we are when they are constantly checking in and keeping tabs on where I am. Plus I love playing with them and watching them do what dogs do :) It's just something in the way they look at me. I rarely say a lot when we're out walking so it's interesting to watch them follow me without me saying a word (unless I need to give them a command of course :) ).

I do however feel that that bond is built through the training we've done together.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have been blessed with some wonderful gsd's in my life, I've never had a problem with them all thinking I was the center of their universe, ego boosting, but I tend to spend alot of time with my dogs, together and individually, training, hanging out,feeding, hiking, whatever, Ive never really "done" anything, it's just always been like that with any gsd I've had

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ask her to do little tasks like "pick it up and give" if I drop something or
"carry it". I think if GSD's "work" with you there is a great bond.
I also take her to training classes. We have attended mutiple obedience,
focus and scent detection classes. She also gets a message every day from her head to tail. Not real time consuming mayble just a couple of minutes. She enjoys it and so do I. But I think the thing she enjoys most is when I sit in my favorite chair to read, I speard a blanket on the floor and she lays quietly next to me with her head on my feet.

Hmmm, now if only I could teach her to give ME a message. ;)

Mary

·
Registered
457 Posts
With my most recent puppy I didn't feel like we had a bond until he was about 6-7 months old. I did everything with him walks, training for food, playing with toys, feeding hanging out at places to socialize him and we just didn't have a bond at all. Around the time that we finally developed a bond I started taking him for off leash hikes and I think he realized that he needed to be aware of me and I was important. Or maybe it was a coincidence and it was an age thing? Now we have little rituals when he comes out of his kennel in the morning and he always follows me up to bed and looks forward to doing things with me. We do have a bond now but for those first few months he really didn't give a crap.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I think that something special happens between you and your dog when you go to professional training. I'm not sure what it is, maybe because you and your dog are both learning. I just think that something special happens.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Here is how I personally feel Hunter and I have strengthened our very powerful bond:

Everyday activities such as feeding and walking.
Snuggling together... on the couch, bed, everywhere else.
Sleeping together on the bed.
Training and working together in Schutzhund / Obedience.
Taking him with me everywhere I go.
Hiking/swimming/exploring together.
Howling together.

I absolutely love when he gets in bed with me and curls up against me, letting out that deep content sigh and falling right to sleep. I have never felt such unconditional love and acceptance in my life.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
I think offleash stuff when he was little was huge in first developing our bond.

As time went on, training work intensified that bond.

Now that he's just passed the one year mark, I think daily rituals only strengthen the bond.

Just the passage of time. Relationship-building, really. Since I do tend to stick to a fairly close schedule daily, he knows he will be fed, exercised, loved and played with... and also knows he's going to be told to go lay down and leave mom alone awhile. All very predictable to him. He must sit before he eats, he must this that and the other and I do believe (maybe foolishly,) that him knowing what will be expected of him has helped us develop a tight bond. I really aim to be fair and consistent.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
At first when I was developing a bond with Sasha it was very much just showing her that I could be trusted, and that good things came from me. I did this by allowing her to approach me in her own time, and when she approached me good, calm things happened. I'll never forget the first time we played. It wasn't a real play for sure, but it was a great way for me to see what she liked and for her to see it was ok to have fun. We went outside for a potty break, there was a ton of snow on the ground, and I just started running with her. She didn't know what was happening at first, and though you could see she was interested, she was definitely cautious about this new turn of events. Pretty soon we were running up and down the piles of snow that were higher than my head...well...Sasha ran...I ran up them and tended to just fall down them lol! It hurt so bad (because of an injury when I was younger it hurts really bad for me to run) but it was so much fun.

Now it's just a matter of hanging with each other. We do everything together. 90% of my free time activities are centered around her. I plan hiking trips, doggy play dates, training classes, walks around town to smell the smells, a special trip to the pet store to get a special yummy, play time, training time etc. She's also wherever I am when I'm at home. She goes with me in the car (provided the weather is conducive to that) which means with the exception of to school (most of the year) or to work (during the summer) she gets to go everywhere with me. My world revolves around her and hers around me. Sometimes she'll even indulge me and cuddle with me for a little bit lol

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I actually own a private dog park that is on 12 acres and includes nature trails and a creek. I make a point of taking my dogs only out into the park and just hanging out. I wear water friendly clothes and water shoes and get into the creek and just play with them. They love it when we do this.
I also think protection work during Schutzhund is a big bonding activity. Once they get it and realize that it's a "bad guy" and we are on the same team they get really jazzed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Constant communication.
Always talk to him.
Care for him in all ways possible.
My sweet knows who I am and willingly, but also surprisingly, remains extremely loyal in all environments so far.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Aside from our daily activities (feeding, training, walking) I REALLY love to
pet his whole body and talk to him in a very soft tone whereas he puts his head on my feet and just listens.....

:):):)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I just started jogging with Puppy, and I think it's a great bonding activity for both of us. She constantly checks what I'm doing, and is always that the same pace I am at. It takes my mind off of the negative feelings I foster towards jogging...it makes it fun for me. I don't know if it's fun for her, but I really enjoy our jogs together.

·
Registered
658 Posts
When I feel my dog is getting less velcro-ish, I play lots of hide and seek with her. She LOVES hide and seek. After a few rounds, she'll stick to me like glue and is interested in everything and everywhere I go.

We used to have issues with fetch because she never brings it back and hogs it all to herself. Now, it's much more productive with most of my socks gone. :D She'll go for the ball too but mainly the sock balls.

I try to atleast take her hiking one day out of the week but with the weather getting real hot now, it's not looking so good.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just like a guy dating a woman, you have to find out what your dog likes and spend time doing that activity with them and through training and respect on both sides by making them an obedient dog yet giving them fun as well and then there is nothing the dog would not do for you. As someone that trains handlers, I do believe in bonds with working partner and I demand my students make one with their dogs.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've never done anything special bonding with the Hooligans, it just happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts