German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I mean as in with your dogs. ;)

I'm sure that me taking Ozzy everywhere just irks some people. Especially when we go to certain stores and I have to carry him. I hate carrying him, personally.... He's a dog, he can walk himself. But some places would prefer him to be carried, so I comply. (And I sure as **** ain't puttin' him in a purse!)

I also walk him off lead a lot. I'm sure this bugs a ton of people. He's got an amazing recall and isn't dog reactive. He wants to meet other dogs, but if I tell him 'no' or 'leave it,' he'll sit next to me and just watch the other dog. I watch him like a hawk when he's off-lead.

I know that the fact that he's allowed on the furniture as he pleases drives people nuts sometimes. He gets down when I tell him to, but he sleeps with me, watches TV with me, etc. He's my little cuddlebug.

What do you guys do with your dogs that probably bugs other dog owners? :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
The thing that seems to irritate people the most is that if we cannot bring Mac along, we generally won't go. And, if we do go, after a few hours I say, "Well, we gotta go, Mac is waiting at home." I get eye rolls and comments like "He'll be fine. He's a dog." I know he'll be fine but frankly we'd rather spend our free time with him than do anything else.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
It drives people (friends and family) nuts when I schedule my personal life around my animals. "What, go to a movie? Sure, but I have to be home before 6 to feed..." or "I didn't stop by because I had my dogs with me." or "Ok, let me get off the phone, the dogs are telling me it's time to go to bed."

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I think the worst part for me...is I go to bed really early - I try to be in bed by 8:30 pm. I get up at 4:00 am so I can take care of the horses & dogs etc. before I'm to be at work at 7:00 am. So during the week I rarely go anywhere with anybody...and it really upsets some folks.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I don't know about other people but it drives my husband crazy that everything has to be scheduled around the animals. My horses are in my backyard so no matter what I have to feed am & pm. Theres a little flexability to feed early or a little late, but if we are out we always have to get home to feed or let the dogs out. Sometimes it works to our advantage if we don't really want to be somewhere.
I am sure some other people get annoyed with my conversations always being about critters.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
..All I talk about is Skylar. I'm sure it's annoying, but I don't have anything else to talk about :wild:
All my husband and I talk about is Mac :) Its like he's our child. My husband calls during the day to see how Mac's doing and we talk about what Mac had for breakfast, how his poop looked, if he had any visitors, if we went for a car ride, what we worked on...etc. Then we do the same thing again when he gets home from work. Maybe we are crazy.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I think the worst part for me...is I go to bed really early - I try to be in bed by 8:30 pm. I get up at 4:00 am so I can take care of the horses & dogs etc. before I'm to be at work at 7:00 am. So during the week I rarely go anywhere with anybody...and it really upsets some folks.
Your life sounds like mine! I never go anywhere during the week. I go to bed by 10pm I am up by 5am. I have to be at work by 8:30. Years ago I used to take my old horse & dogs out before work in the morning. It seems to get harder every year to do the things I used to do.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What Mac's Mom said is so true for me too. My husband travels a lot so friends kindly invite me out in the evenings so I won't be lonesome-- like Stosh isn't company! And when I do go out it's limited to how long he'll be home alone. So no 'hey let's go to Dallas for the day' trips for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally take my dog Beast with me everywhere it really gets to people if you call your dog, "Dog", or leave their poop in their yard. I wont lie Ive done that before;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am sure some other people get annoyed with my conversations always being about critters.
Haha! The sames goes with me! I'm allways talking about animals (because I'm allways around animals), and I think that bugs people alot! I just feel it, so sometimes I try to not talk too much!!!!:p

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I sometimes accidentally let the dog leash go :blush:
I secretly consider it a form of socialization around people/dogs we know.
We don't have a yard so he has to be OK with strangers if he ever gets loose unsupervised... Our dog park is a big distracting free-for-all so not much training can take place there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
The list of crazy things we do is endless...

We talk to Mac like he is a human. My husband will say "after breakfast, we'll go play, stop at the store then go ice fishing, ok?" And Mac will stare at him with his head cocked. We know Mac doesn't understand what he's saying but he does understand the "tone". It means lots of fun is coming!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
The thing that seems to irritate people the most is that if we cannot bring Mac along, we generally won't go. And, if we do go, after a few hours I say, "Well, we gotta go, Mac is waiting at home." I get eye rolls and comments like "He'll be fine. He's a dog." I know he'll be fine but frankly we'd rather spend our free time with him than do anything else.
Same here:D

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
All my husband and I talk about is Mac :) Its like he's our child. My husband calls during the day to see how Mac's doing and we talk about what Mac had for breakfast, how his poop looked, if he had any visitors, if we went for a car ride, what we worked on...etc. Then we do the same thing again when he gets home from work. Maybe we are crazy.
Is it weird that, that makes me go "aww"? xD Not married (explained here >) but I've yet to come across a boyfriend who "likes" Chance. They'll tolerate him but because I'm so obsessive about HIM, it puts most guys off. Problem is, you have to love my dog to love me. :rolleyes:

I'd love to find a man so dedicated to my dog as your husband is. LOL!!!

Chance goes everywhere with me and if he can't go, I rarely do. Everyone thinks I'm crazy because I'm blowing off my brothers college graduation because I can't fly Chance out to Colorado with me and wont leave him in a kennel. "He's just a dog". No, he's not "a" dog, he's MY dog. And just as I would my children, I'm looking out for his best interest. He doesn't need to be boarded at a kennel where he'll have to have a parvo shot which could make him sick just so I can go on a trip that I don't HAVE to take or even really want to take.

I don't have skin children so I make up for it by having furry ones. I know everything I do with my dogs bugs people. That I wont leave them, that I pay attention to what I feed them, that I give them human vitamin supplements and things, that I watch their weight, that I'm so obsessive about their appearance (ie. making sure they're well groomed and not stinky), making sure they're healthy (many people think I'm crazy I even take them to the vet at least once a year....when they find out I do blood work and everything YEARLY for "no reason" it really confuses them...But hey if I can catch something like cancer before it's a death sentence it's money well spent.), that I dress them up for certain occasions/weather, that I take them -every where-, that I have 3 SD cards filled with over 10,000 pictures of DOGS, that I spend so much money on toys, that I spend so much time on exercising and training them, ect. How any of that effects other peoples lives I'm still not sure but it's things people complain to me about OFTEN. It's not that I have this crazy obsession with animals, I could care less about anyone elses pets. But I love -mine-. Just like I don't give a **** about your human kids but I'd be obsessive about mine. ;) You want to feed them McDonalds? Cool, let your kids be unhealthy but MINE aren't. You don't want a bunch of memories of your kids? Your choice but I want to capture every moment. You want kids who you're too embarrassed to take into a store? Well you can leave yours at home or hide your face in shame in public. I'll teach mine to behave. You want to let your kids run bearfoot in the snow? Have fun. My kids are wearing boots. Your kid has a bone sticking out of his leg and you want to shrug it off because "it'll heal"...Well my kids are already at the ER.

There is more than one way to parent your kids and more than one way to raise a dog. ;)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
My family, mostly my son, is super jealous of the dogs. I have 20x the photos of the dogs than I do of my son. Oh well, the dogs are nicer than my 18 year old.
My life is my dogs. When we buy cars or houses, our first thought is the dogs. Some people seem to think it's overboard.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Take them everywhere. I take them on first dates... wanna get that out of the way up front lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Having a dog is like having a child (this includes all of the struggles as you all know). Scheduling your life to suit your pup is perfectly normal. Who would want a dog that is so neglected that it makes everyone miserable?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I love this thread. I relate to every single reply.

·
5,627 Posts
but I've yet to come across a boyfriend who "likes" Chance. They'll tolerate him but because I'm so obsessive about HIM, it puts most guys off. Problem is, you have to love my dog to love me. :rolleyes:
Just tolerating isn't ok in my book either especially because I love fostering so any guy I date needs to be dog savvy and ok with (at least) 3 large dogs in the house.

I talk about my dogs too much too and have skipped family things to do rescue events or evaluate dogs. I like the dogs better.

I think it annoys some of my friends when I can't do something right after work or stay out all night because I have to take care of the dogs. Oh, well.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts