German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking about dog parks - I've had this problem before and I don't want it to happen again - she is fine with other dogs.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I usually try to have treats with me, I tell her to watch me, treat her when she pays attention. I will have her do some obedience also, like down or sit etc. to keep her mind on me..

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
Agree with ksotto 333.... ignore her reactivity and the other dogs, just go on with your business. Most of the time the pup wants to play, but then in turns into frustration because pup can't get to the other dog/which then can turn into reactive/aggressive behavior. So let your pup know early on that all dogs are not put on her earth for her bidding, because they are boring! The fun comes from you! Soon she'll be neutral to other dogs(hopefully).
If you can set up some playdates with stable dogs that you know, it will help her get out her need for "all dogs are to play with" and she'll be more discriminating/especially when she starts showing body language and reading other dogs communications.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Apache has only done it in a play situation where the other dog isnt playing, she bounces and barks to induce play. At 15 weeks I dont correct her, she isnt doing anything wrong in my eyes. You have to read the body language and tone of bark, if its dominant id stop that.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if my dog shows interest in another i can say "no",
"no playing", "no hellos", "ignor him", or things of the sort
and he ignors the other dog. i did a lot of training and socializing
around other dogs in order for him to ignor other dogs and
follow my commands when around other dogs. i taught my
dog "other side". when we're approached by another
person walking their dog on their left and my dog is on
my left side i say "other side" and my dog will switch to
my right side. if doesn't matter which side he's on if I
say other side he switches sides on or off leash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you teach your dog to carry something ,ball maybe,they cant bark without dropping it .However they can still mix and play happily without interfering with body language. It will break the habit of barking, so you wont need to keep it up forever. Just be careful not to give ball after dog barks as it may seem like a reward .Squeaky ball is good as you can use it to get puppies attention as soon as you see something that puppy may bark at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts