German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i woke up and found my daughter (3yo) eating her candy from last night... i thought my wife had put them up knowing that every morning she gets her little fingers into anything she can find... so i just brushed it off, put the candy up, and went downstairs for a frustrating cigarette... when i come up i see that my daughter had played in her face paint (oil based) and i have no clue where she found that... but puppers got into that and face paint EVERYWHERE (no fault of his own, he's a puppy) got into the carpet, our microfiber suede couch.. anything you can think of in a living room... i didn't get mad at him but i did get irritated when i got on my hands and knees to clean the spot and he would come running and jumping at the towel and smearing the paint even further into the carpet... so i gently led him to his kennel, being positive and continued to clean (ended up shampooing the whole upstairs)... but right now i just need a little me time and since he was in his kennel for about 45 minutes i stuck him in the garage..... anyway my point is...

what do you do if you need some alone time to cool down and just be able to relax for a bit? :help:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
We are all human, and need 'me' time. I swear it was a woman who invented the wire kennel. But I think she really wanted to use it for her children, and then thought better of it. :D

Of course, I'd limit my kennel usage for the puppers...but when it gets to the point that you need to reload your patience, it's much better to put the pup in the kennel and do what ever you need to in an effort to pull it back together.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Nothing wrong with putting your dog in a safe place whether it be a kennel or a room. I think I would have put the dog in it's kennel before you started the clean up but it sounds like you did fine. You are right though it's not the puppies fault at all.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are all human, and need 'me' time. I swear it was a woman who invented the wire kennel. But I think she really wanted to use it for her children, and then thought better of it. :D

Of course, I'd limit my kennel usage for the puppers...but when it gets to the point that you need to reload your patience, it's much better to put the pup in the kennel and do what ever you need to in an effort to pull it back together.
lol i never thought of putting my daughter in there.... new time out place!!! :wild:

and right now he is in the back yard, first time in a while that he hasn't been begging for my attention and is self motivated to play alone.. ive been watching him and he's just been running around playing w/ a basketball

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Crates/kennels are for the sanity of both dog and owner. If he can stay in it all night, then he can stay in it for a couple of hours during the day. You will both be the happier for it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
crate/kennel. plain and simple. She cant be trusted in a room to herself and the kennel confines her to one place easily enough and she likes it so its best option since they cant be outside unsupervised.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing. Congrats on not taking out your anger on the puppy. Sometimes they really test us don't they?

Serenity now, serenity now...

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What an image! All that paint and a bouncing puppy all excited that you're on the floor- what a mess. We've all used the crate for our own sanity, sounds as though you were very patient. The times I've had to put them up so I didn't strangle them, I took a few minutes to play tug or something else when I let them out just to let them know I wasn't mad at them. One time I got them out and said "you two were driving me crazy- this is what crazy looks like" and I started jumping around, waving my arms and yelling arrrrggggghhhh. They thought it was a riot and now when they hear, "I'm going crazy" they wag and bounce around and make little yelping noises, it's really funny.

·
Registered
936 Posts
We have an x pen set up right in front of our couch in the family room.

When we eat and also want to totall relax our little guy goes in there.

Most of the time he ends up falling asleep (he is in doggie daycare 9 hours a day so he gets loads of exercise), plus he has 5 chew toys and loads of other things in there. Sometimes he will go in there and nap and be in there from 6:30pm right up to 9:30 pm.

When he is fully awake, if we are not playing with him, having him sit in the kitchen while we do stuff or cant watch him, he goes in the x pen. He has no problem with it.

Think of it like a human baby playpen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts