German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning!

Daisy is a twice a day pooper, and I'm cleaning the yard every day, which means each week we have literal piles of poop. Right now we bag and trash it but I'm really interested in getting one of those pet waste disposal systems. Anyone have one and love it? Or hate it?

What do you do with all the poop???

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dont have a disposal system, but might look into them! Fortunately we live on 5 acres and have a "tree line" that kinda divides up our yard. There is a hole about 1 1/2 to 2 ft deep just on the far side of the tree line and we have started using that hole as our "poop pile"!! I haven't heard of the the waste disposal systems but now I am interested in checking them out!

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
My gang is raw fed so the poop just dries and crumbles up into nothing.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have one that you dig a hole in the ground and bury it. It has a flip top that you raise with your foot. Every so often hubby puts lye in it. When it gets full, we'll start again.

Since my Lacy pup is a digger, I've been scooping poop and putting it in the holes he digs and then bury it back up. I'm hoping at some point he'll be discouraged and stop digging. I will say that he no longer digs to China, and only has a few shallow holes he has dug. So I'm encouraged that it's working, or I'm getting quicker at catching him.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
My former home had a Doggie Dooley, and I hated it. It really, really, really stank when we opened the lid -- bad enough that the neighbors could smell it. :sick:

We tried buying special "digester" enzymes to add to it, but the smell was there every time the lid was opened. It also was a pain to get around with the lawn mower, so if you put one in, be very thoughtful about placement.

On the plus side, when a clever dog figured out how to open it, remove the plastic lid and destroy the lid (adolescents are fun, no?), the company was great about selling us a replacement lid at a very reasonable price.

We ended up stopping use of the DD, and just bagged and trashed the poop, which was allowed in our municipality.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love the suggestion about putting poop in their digging holes! I will try that, as well. As for our poop routine, I bag it and put it in a special garbage bin outside just for that. Each week we bag the entire thing and put it in the trash bin for pickup.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've been digging holes and burying it but am running out of space so I'll probably have to start bagging and trashing. I can't let it sit because our yard is tiny and I like to walk in it myself, plus we do agility there.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta likes to go in the green belt behind our house. In the 8+ years we've lived here, I've never seen another human in there, and, inexplicably, that includes the children who live on the other side. Which is the long way of saying I don't feel bad about not picking it up. For now, we're bagging and trashing Thor's, and hoping he'll grow up to like his privacy, too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use to bury mine too...but I started bagging it too.I took a old kitty litter container..put a hefty bag in it..and then each day i clean up...and after a few days i throw it away...otherwise i would be running out of grocery bags! lol

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Bag it in those small poop bags. Double wrap it if the bag is on the bigger side and toss it in a tightly lidded garbage container which is lined with a garbage bag. Empty it every week or so.

On a really hot day there is a bit of a smell when I lift the lid but otherwise I've never noticed a smell when the lid is closed.

Kitty litter is a problem because of the weight. I scoop daily and by the end of the week the garbage bin is heavy. My pets waste is really the most garbage we have most weeks.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It's probably too cold in MA where you live to use the septic type system. They require heat to digest the poo and it's too cold up here in the northland for them to work more than a couple of months out of the year.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I use a 5gal bucket with a lid, and garbage bags from the dollar store, but by the end of the week, opening that lid and the smell will knock you out, also no smoking around it, been thinking what I can put in there to take some of the smell out of it

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Use the same grocery bag over the week to collect poo. Daily scooping with a shovel. Store grocery bag in a potter. Keep shovel over the end of the bag. Bag gets thrown out with garbage at end of week.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'll be the standout lazy one here. I freely admit that I toss it over the fence into the pasture. Haven't heart any bovine complaints yet, so I guess I'm in the clear. Also, he's raw fed, so the poop doesn't last long anyhow.

·
Registered
244 Posts
We have a poop bucket, too, outside of the fence. Pyrrha is occasionally tempted to snack on her poo if she's bored, so we have to be very vigilant about cleaning it up. We shovel every day and put the poop in a bucket on the outside of the fence. We'll dispose of it in the trash once it's full.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I love the suggestion about putting poop in their digging holes! I will try that, as well. As for our poop routine, I bag it and put it in a special garbage bin outside just for that. Each week we bag the entire thing and put it in the trash bin for pickup.
That's what we do too.

The thought of pop sitting in a plastic bag that can't decompose is really gross. Landfills with poop filled bags YUK. I want to find a better way. All your comments are interesting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts