·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you prefer: big or small dogs?? Why??:gsdsit:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Big...i've grown up with big mixes AND, i'm rather tall, and am very limb-y (think baby giraffe)...i'm constantly terrified i'd trip over toddlers or anything smaller thn knee height....

Besides, the bigger the dog, the better hugs i can give it

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Big dogs!! I have a Great Dane, 2 GSD and a little GR mix thing. I find that bigger dogs are easier to potty train, get tired easier on a hike and are more fun to wrestle with lol

I had a little cocker spaniel once and I swear she had no idea when she was pooping! she would turn around looking like she was so surprised that fell out of her butt.

plus she would steal money out my wallet it and eat it, it was crazy.

When I am old I will only have Great Danes cuz they are super lazy LOL

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Since you're posting this on a GSD forum, the answer should be obvious. ;)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
BIG!

You dont have to bend down to pet them.

You dont have to worry about stepping on them.

They are more intimidating.

They are not as fragile as a little dog.

They can protect you better than a little dog could.

Little dogs are usually yappy and annoying.

Big dogs give better hugs!

I would feel a heck of alot safer with a German Shepherd than a Toy Poodle.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I actually prefer a little of both. We have always had one of both at least one small dog(min pins) and the rest larger dogs. The min pins can always hold their own with a big dog. They are not easily intimidated so we have a preference for the breed. They are like a big dog in a little body. As far as large breeds go we have always had a large breed dog also so a little mix of both types works out well for us.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I actually prefer a little of both. We have always had one of both at least one small dog(min pins) and the rest larger dogs. The min pins can always hold their own with a big dog. They are not easily intimidated so we have a preference for the breed. They are like a big dog in a little body. As far as large breeds go we have always had a large breed dog also so a little mix of both types works out well for us.
I LOVE Min Pin's! Great little dogs! My friend has 2 of them and I always tell her I am going to stick them in my purse and take them home with me!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I LOVE Min Pin's! Great little dogs! My friend has 2 of them and I always tell her I am going to stick them in my purse and take them home with me!
Min Pins are great little dogs and they get along so well with big dogs. They do not know that they aren't big dogs too.:)

We have owned three in all over the years. The next small breed will be a another min pin also when we are ready not right now, but in the future.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Big dogs! Shepherds of any type, they are so smart and for some reason I am drawn to them. I had a very large boned Dobie years ago, he was almost as good as my Shepherds. I almost got a min pin but came to my senses because of Apache & Kiya being so big. I never had a small dog and honestly I never met a small dog that I really liked. They all had issues and most of them were yappy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, even though I prefer bigger dogs because I've grown up with them, I would agree with you. I have a dachshund-beagle puppy and a GSD.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Big dogs. My dad always said, "If you want a small dog, get a cat." Truer words, dad. Truer words...lol.

I like big dogs. I like that as a single woman, my big dog is a deterrent. I feel safe when going for hikes in the woods with him. People cross the street when they seem him. I'm okay with that. I always say, "Easy killer," as they pass. LMAO. Just kidding. But I love the sense of safety I have in my house and outside of it with him.

I can't ever imagine owning a small breed. It's not even in my vocabulary. I have an uncle who likes small dogs. He says, "Small dogs, small poop." To me, that's worse. You can't even find it in the grass before you step in it. Hahaha.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Grew up with a GSD, a GSD mix and always felt comfortable with larger dogs. Have had large dogs my whole life and that is what I am most comfortable with. If I had no choice and had to have a small dog, would probably go with a cat. LOL

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my Shasta but I really liked her when she was around 50 pounds. I think I could really enjoy a dog that was between 35 and 50 pounds.

That being said, we're probably going to get another shepherd next fall.

·
Registered
940 Posts
BIG DOGS!

I grew up with them - Irish Wolfhounds, Great Danes, a couple shepherds - my parents now have a Borzoi and Dane and I have the GSD.

The smallest I've gone is my whippet.

It came as a huge shock when my mom got a yorkie years ago and then got a chi. I don't think I could ever get a tiny little dog...I'll stick with my big guys (and gals). :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I love my big dogs, but I have loved my little dogs too. For 10 years our two dogs were our GSD Susie and our 5 pound poodle Koko. They were great friends and great dogs. Susie had the great GSD bark and Koko had tootsie roll size poops! It was much easier (and less expensive) to take the little one to the vet too! we now have two GSD girls and they are our loves!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Shepherd sized dogs. 60 - 80 pounds 23 -28 inches

·
Registered
330 Posts
Both! Either way that have to have a BIG personality!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts