German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering this? Every reputable breeder will say that all there pups are healthy and have a excellent temperament. I am sure out of so many litters there must be a few pups that are ill or fearful.... What do the breeders do with these pup? Do they sell them at a reduced price, keep them....

·
Registered
309 Posts
One breeder I contacted said she would use them for a working dog or sell them at a reduced price...kinda makes me sad.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I don't know how they could use a dog with poor nerves as a "working" dog.

I think responsible breeders may grow them out a bit to see if their initial assessment is correct and then either place them after training the pup some, or humanely put it down if it cannot be placed safely in society.
Other breeders will just sell the pup/no big deal, because unsuspecting buyers may not even recognize a pup with unstable nerve.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I kept Whitney. She seemed fearful when I had people over. It was a mistake, I think she had shots the day before and was just a little off by herself. And the day of the childrens' home was the day of her shots -- she stayed in the crate while the other puppies played with the people.

But I decided I wouldn't trust her upbringing to anyone and kept her. She was fine. I got her CGC then titled her amongst thousands of dogs and people in the chaos of the IX center Christmas Classic. She never did do well with vaccines though, and died two weeks after being vaccinated -- probably not related, but who knows.

Breeders cannot keep all the dogs with temperaments they think are questionable. But they shouldn't go to inexperienced owners, and experienced owners are looking for good temperament too.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
you read my mind -- I think that is called a Victorian wheel used as a turnspit to rotate the roast in the flames .
My pro sled dog racer friend made a huge one , maybe 7 feet high . All his huskies take turns in it -- love it . The pups voluntarily go on and will run for hours like a hamster in a wheel.
So we need a couple of wheels , some belts, a generator to store the energy and some bad-boy dogs to run.
lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
Reasonable, responsible people should never hate you for that answer, Robin.

If a pup just has bad temperament right out of the gate, is just plain unstable beyond redemption due to some mental defect, genetic predisposition or environmental factor, the safety of the people and the quality of life of the dog have to be considered and actions followed accordingly.
If it is a minor problem that can be controlled and reasoned with without too much interruption of what one could consider 'normal', 'everyday' life, then place accordingly with responsible, experienced people.
If the dog cannot be helped and is 'crippled' by its instability to the point that everyday life is a threat or an adversary, humanely euthanize.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I'll probably be hated for this answer...but....here it goes....
*Properly euthanize them*.....
Been there, done that. :(

One puppy from my first GSD litter had severe fear issues. She was raised the same as all the other pups that were fine. I kept her until she was 6 months old and a total balls of fear. She reacted to everything and was always on edge.

Euthanizing her was the best thing to do ... for HER.

Well to the joy of breeding. :(

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'll probably be hated for this answer...but....here it goes....
*Properly euthanize them*.....
Boy that can't be easy Robin, but it sure is better than selling them to a family and letting both them and dog have years of stress and anxiety. One of the not so fun sides of breeding. :(

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
God I wish I hadn't even opened this thread.
the alternative is opening the aggression threads with all the dogs that were passed on to unsuspecting buyers....or the rescue thread of urgent dogs that were dumped because of their issues. Sad reality:(

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
the alternative is opening the aggression threads with all the dogs that were passed on to unsuspecting buyers....or the rescue thread of urgent dogs that were dumped because of their issues. Sad reality:(
I'm sure you're right. In a perfect world, a human would be stepping up to work with all their issues and love them into their twilight years.... but life down here on planet earth knows better. The thought that a 5-6 month old would be put down just makes my heart break. How could a dog, so genetically unsound, result from a litter of very sound, strong-nerved pups? (Assuming it came from parents also as sound. ) I don't understand that! Are they just freaks of nature? How does that happen?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts