German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Re: What do I put in my kong?

Sieger probably can't figure it out yet and has so much else to learn right now, I wouldn't worry about it. To avoid wasting whatever you put in, I wouldn't fill it to the end and just put it halfway until he figures it out. Personally I'd fill the Kong with anything but the stuff that comes in the squirt can. Both Lainey and I thought it was disgusting and she wouldn't touch it! You're better off doing whatever your dog likes to keep them interested in it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Re: What do I put in my kong?

By the way, some great ideas on here. Didn't think of putting meals inside them. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Better than a kong? Same fillings....

Just as a heads up for those that have dogs that love these rubber toys and you want to make it a bit more challenging.

They make these Purple Squirrel Dudes that I just love (by that, my dogs love them...)

It's the same kind of kong rubber, but if you get the large one you can fit more than 1/2 cup of dog food in them. It's how I feed part of my dog's meals each and every day cause it's easy to fill and I don't have to be so clever with what I put in them. There are rubber pieces that are soft but block the entrance so the kibble doesn't poor out as fast as a regular kong. Still easy to fill though. I put in the 1/2 cup dog food plus a few larger dog treats to make it a challenge!

http://www.alphadogtoys.com/squirrel_dude_rubber_dog_toy_treat_dispenser.html

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Re: Better than a kong? Same fillings....

I am the only one whose dog just plays with the Kong without food in it? I was thinking of filling it, but I am afraid that she will chew into it trying to get the food out...does this happen?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts

My Little Lexi is a chewer and hasn't managed to chew the Kong yet.I suppose it could happen but hasn't to us yet.

I do PB or canned food mixed with there kibble as a treat or if they aren't eating good I can usually get them to eat that at least.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

My dog DO chew on their kongs (and the purple squirrels) and eventually they are destroyed. But because mostly the rubber gives and bends under the biting, it just crunches up whatever the treat is inside.

It just time and GSD jaws that will make the rubber fail. But I just go out and buy more (or get tham as birthday/Xmas gifts!).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts