German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I put in my kong?

I've read many posts about the wonderful things to put in a kong and now I have bought one each for my boys, I can't find the posts!

I tried peanut butter and that was a great success with Jack, but Hardy was not so impressed....

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Re: What do I put in my kong?

Originally Posted By: Jack_Jonespb? I'm an ignorant brit!
I'm thinking it's an American staple, peanut butter!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts

I just purchased a Kong and my dogs love it. I put about 1/2 tsp peanut butter in the small end, then layer with: yoghurt, frozen banana slices, about 1-2 tsp of 100% canned pumpkin, a few small dog biscuits, then more yoghurt. I freeze this and Meb & Shay love it.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts

I stuffed it the other day with canned mackerel, peanut butter, and ice chips, then froze it. Renji was at it ALL NIGHT. A couple hours in the evening, then at 3am he was still licking it. A big winner here!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts

Extra disgusting, and they love it: stuff it with plain yogurt, the horribly sour, normal kind.. then freeze it! It keeps the dog BUSY.

·
Registered
763 Posts

A winner here is Shepherd's Pie. Potato flakes rehydrated with about 1/2 the amount of water, a little bit of cream cheese mixed in, and hamburger meat. Freeze with a cream cheese plug over the hole. No complaints for an hour or two....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

Peanut butter makes my dog itchy, so I use mashed potatoes or spray cheese, combine in some of her kibble, a few bits of extra-good treats and pack it in tightly.

for the Brits in the group, you can probably try some Marmite in the mix!!

·
Registered
671 Posts

What I used to do was mix dry kibble with yogurt or canned food and freeze. The kibble is harder to get out because it's solid and of course the yogurt/canned food holds it all together when it's frozen.

Thanks for posting this, I have been feeding ground raw and hadn't even thought of putting it in a kong until now.

·
Registered
763 Posts

Originally Posted By: BrennasMomThanks for posting this, I have been feeding ground raw and hadn't even thought of putting it in a kong until now.
I do the same thing with raw ground chicken quarters. I freeze it in ice cube trays and then put them in bags for use later. The meat cubes can be pushed through the hole in the Kong and other stuff can be packed in around it. Freeze the whole thing and it makes another treat that takes a while for them to get out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

ok I have a question & it may seem stupid, but...

I bought some goat milk plain yogurt. Now I know it's supposed to be sour, but is it supposed to be lumpy too? I've never bought plain yogurt before.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

I did the frozen Kong thing today!
I mixed in PB, Goat's Milk Plain Yogurt, Banana, 1 small jar of Lamb baby food, Wheat Germ, and some wheat free biscuits.
My doggies LOVED IT!
And before I even froze the kongs, I let them taste the mixture--they practically forced the bowl out of my hands!!

·
Registered
32 Posts

We have 3 dogs, 2 GSD's and a border collie. When we leave for town we give them each their Kong which has been in the freezer and stuffed with mashed potatos with a milkbone treat sticking out the end. When we come home those Kongs are licked clean! We usually use the instant mashed potatos as they are quick and easy to make.

·
Registered
408 Posts

I usually mix PB & Honey with Cheerios and freeze it. The Kong Stuffin' squirt cans are available in several flavors and are cheaper (if you buy 12) at Care-A-Lot Pet Supply on the internet - I pay less than have what it would cost me at PetsMart on that site.

·
Registered
122 Posts

The Kong gives me my needed internet time :p

I boil chicken or beef, carrots, and celery. I then puree it with some of the liquid and alfalfa sprouts. I put some PB in the little hole to block it, then some quartered banana, spoon in the meat puree and top it with a Wellness puppy soft treat. Freeze it and I get "me" time, with her licking happily at my feet. She has a few of them so I can do them in batches....I'm hungry now :p

·
Registered
108 Posts

About what age do they get interested in working to get the stuff out? My 10 week old pup loves licking and biting off the bit on the end but then actually working to get the inside out is totally uninteresting to him. Does that change?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts