German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, what do i do if my puppy ate a BOX OF CHOCLATE i scared as ****:help: please help me what will happen,what do i do please help
Thank You
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
I would probably call an e vet and ask what they would recommend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,912 Posts
How long ago?

Do you have hydrogen peroxide in the house? Give a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and wait 10 minutes. If your dog doesn't throw up, give another tablespoon and wait another 10 minutes.

The hydrogen peroxide will definitely get that chocolate out of there as long as it hasn't been a while and he's already started digesting it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,649 Posts
When did it happen? If it was in the last hour then you should use hydrogen peroxide to make your dog throw up. The amount depends on the weight of the dog. If you call the e-vet they should be able to tell you the correct amount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,397 Posts
Yes, use the peroxide.

A call to the e-vet is always a good idea, if the amount was large (like a box full!) and in particular included dark chocolate. I don't know exactly what they would do, but this can be very serious, depending on all the extenuating circumstances. Sac Surgical, has a new name I think, is an emergency clinic. This used to be the #, maybe still is: 362-3111

If you are near a grocery store that is open and carries supplements, lots of charcoal capsules will help, but that's only if the e-vet doesn't want to see the pup.

I would also give liver support, milk thistle. The liver processes this, and for the mext week or so, you will need to watch your pup carefull, and I would be giving liver support for about 3-4 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,649 Posts
At this point, if the pup hasn't been forced to throw up the chocolate, I would most definitely give the activated charcoal.

If you haven't already called the e-vet I would do so immediately. They've probably already dealt with this 20 times today and will be able to tell you whether you need to bring your pup in or can do something for him at home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It ate choclate of like the kind u make hot choclate with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,649 Posts
I got your pm--I'm not sure why you keep asking what to do when you've gotten very consistent and solid advice on this thread? Hopefully you have by now called the e-vet, told them exactly what kind and how much your chocolate your dog ate and they gave you further instructions as to what you need to do (either come in or give your dog activated charcoal).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,301 Posts
go to the E-Vet and call a poisin hot line.
I know it's late but yes - don't listen to people on a forum - do this - call and go to an e-vet.

Because no matter what you do at home, you can't do this:
The vet will also start an IV for hydration and also to administer medication. The vet will also administer anti-seizure medication because animals that have ingested chocolate have a ninety eight percent chance of having severe seizures. If your animal is having extreme symptoms or cardiac problems he will easily be able to give those cardiac medications through the IV. The stay after this treatment in an easy case is usually two days, although in more extreme instances the hospital stay for your animal could be weeks.
Results:
Your dog, if untreated, can quickly go into convulsions, have arrhythmia, stop breathing and go into a coma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
Chocolate is one of those "selective toxins"...it can kill a dog in a very small quantity...or it can have little or no effect in any quantity.
Peroxide immediately is preferred...followed by activated charcoal.
I would also always recommend, having the dog vet checked....many times they will draw blood to make sure all is well, start IV's and administer any meds that might be needed.
Don't fool around when it comes to any toxin.
Robin
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,430 Posts
Chocolate is one of those "selective toxins"...it can kill a dog in a very small quantity...or it can have little or no effect in any quantity.
We were lucky - many many years ago Sneaker got into some chocolate chips and we didn't even realize it. At the time I had no idea chocolate was toxic for dogs. She suddenly puked up a bunch of brown liquid and we were mystified as to what it was, and then we remembered the chocolate chips that had been on the counter. Since we didn't know chocolate was dangerous we didn't even take her to the vet. But apparently she'd vomited all of it up because she was totally fine. It didn't agree with her system and she purged it. Scares me now to know that it could have been much worse! Now that I know chocolate is bad I'd induce vomiting immediately and make a trip to the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
I worked at a vet in Chicago (many years ago), and we had several cases of "chocolate poisoning"....here's a couple of examples.
1) Vet Tech (lived above clinic) had her Chesapeake Bay Retriever eat (1) 2lb bar of baking cocoa while she was at work. Since she was at work for 4 hours before finding him...she had no real idea on long it had been since he digested it. They induced vomiting (was very little), administered VitK, gave IV fluids....he was watched intensively..he recovered just fine...no problem.
2) Great Dane 3yrs old....ate 1/2 small pack of M&M's, rushed to Vet, started seizing...died.
3) GSD dog comes to training (a while back), owner gives dog a Chips Ahoy cookie for treat!?...I immediately informed her that chocolate was a toxin to dogs (in general)...she replied..."Oh...he's been eating these cookies for over 5 yrs, he gets a cookie or 2 each night when I have mine"..!!??? I just stared at her in shock.....:eek::confused:
Selective potentially deadly toxin for sure!
Robin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,397 Posts
I will always remember a case on the boards - dog was taken to the vet, declared fine, seem fine, several days later siezed and died.

You're right Robin, a very select toxin. I hope that the OP eventually took some sort of intelligent action to help their dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
any news??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Hope the pup is doing ok!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Man, I knew chocolate was bad but not that bad. My young puppy ate a whole piece of brownie that fell on the floor. Luckily nothing happened and I wasn't worried because I was clueless until I read this thread. I'll handle things differently if it ever happens again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,371 Posts
Hope this pup is okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
this is concerning to me. the OP comes here to ask for help and got lots of good suggestions.

i sincerely hope this turned out ok, but i am having a bad feeling about it.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top