German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD will be one year on June 15, now the issue I have is this, when I am preparing his food in the kitchen and my husband comes in he will go after him with high pitched barks and bangs his teeth into his leg, I know why he does it, my husband is an ASS sometimes, about 2 months ago he came into the kitchen and started making sniffing noises at the dogs bowl as I was preparing it and Max did not like that,being an ass my husband kept doing it resulting in the behaviour The dog is exhibiting now husband will not do it anymore but Dog does not know this and reacts this way every time, no problem with anyone else just husband, what can I do to stop this, would husband feeding him help? I know it's so stupid for husband to do this but he did and he won't again...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't think you're allowed to use the a word LOL so before this thread gets deleted you might want to cut and paste it into "axx" new thread replacing a with I don't know "jerk" LOL

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Have your husband feed him from his hand, until the dog realizes that husband getting near his food = dog getting food.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My GSD will be one year on June 15, now the issue I have is this, when I am preparing his food in the kitchen and my husband comes in he will go after him with high pitched barks and bangs his teeth into his leg,
With out seeing this behavior first hand, it's difficult to determine if your pup is attempting to 'resource guard' his food or if your pup is seeing this time as play time with your husband. If your pup isn't doing it with anybody else, I'd tend to think it's the latter. Agreed, not a good game to play, but one that comes with a fairly easy fix.

When you begin to prepare your food, tell your pup to 'down' and remain in that command until it's food is ready. When your pup begins to exhibit an unwanted behavior (barking at hubby) tell it quiet (or enough or what ever you do to stop barking behavior) and do not feed your dog until it remains in a downed, quiet position.

It's your responsibility to keep your dog focused on your (preparing the food) and not your husband. Have some high value rewards ready. When your pup downs, reward. While it's quiet, reward. Don't linger preparing it's food. As long as your pup is downed and quiet, reward. When you are finished preparing it's food, feed it.

Keep repeating this during feeding time until your dog exchanges one learned behavior (the unwanted one) for another behavior (the wanted one).

For YOU. Instead of focusing on the source of the unwanted behavior in your dog, focus on using your husband as a distraction and a training opportunity for your dog.

As long as two or more people live in the same home as a pet, you'll always have challenges with training. Take the challenge as an opportunity to sharpen your training skills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts