German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does their coat look like? Long or short. Does it resemble a saddle more than sable? How do pattern sables get produced?

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
in your case, a patterned sable is the result of a black and tan parent and a sable parent. they can have a long or short (color and coat length aren’t related) and will typically take on the pattern of the black and tan parent (blanket back or saddle back - which refers to the amount of black that covers the back) but with sable coloring instead of black. sometimes they look more like a traditional sable, other times it’s hard to tell them from an ordinary black and tan.

ultimately sable is sable and they will go through many MANY color phases before they’re done. your pup being a long coat adds in a few more.

just enjoy the ride - no one here (even with similar looking puppies) can predict exactly how your dog will turn out.

edit to add: although the photo is grainy, this is a nice example of a patterned sable (short stock coat).

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in your case, a patterned sable is the result of a black and tan parent and a sable parent. they can have a long or short (color and coat length aren’t related) and will typically take on the pattern of the black and tan parent (blanket back or saddle back - which refers to the amount of black that covers the back) but with sable coloring instead of black. sometimes they look more like a traditional sable, other times it’s hard to tell them from an ordinary black and tan.

ultimately sable is sable and they will go through many MANY color phases before they’re done. your pup being a long coat adds in a few more.

just enjoy the ride - no one here (even with similar looking puppies) can predict exactly how your dog will turn out.

edit to add: although the photo is grainy, this is a nice example of a patterned sable (short stock coat).
Thank you for the info! I’m excited to see how he turns out and pattern sable would definitely be neat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe my Whiskey is a pattern sable. She gets comments on her looks quite often. I would say her coat changed a lot the first year or two of life. Here are some side shots:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The guys here say my Maple is a Pattern Sable. Here is when I found that out with my noob question.

Is Maple now a Black and Tan

Pic from her today while my wife and I were out enjoying the great weather with her. Sorry for the pic with no tail visible. I have pictures of her from around 8-10 weeks on this site. She is now 5 months. Assume she will probably still change some.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Any patterned sables out there with black hair on the bottom of their feet and heels?

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Any patterned sables out there with black hair on the bottom of their feet and heels?
i believe that excludes them from being a patterned sable.
i personally have never seen one.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Do patterned sables not have any black on their legs/feet?
Nigel is asking about something very specific - often referred to as "pencil toes" and "tar heels". To my knowledge, only traditional sables and bi colors carry these markings into adulthood.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Maybe it is just me but I have seen dogs that I would call light sables and they appear to be distinct, IMO, from dogs that are patterned sables. Would I be wrong in guessing that a patterned sable can be a blanket patterned sable or a saddle patterned sable?

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
A patterned sable is a dog that has a saddle. When you check their hair, they have banded hair. Dark-light-dark. Often the dogs will be lighter and appear to be a black-tan saddle but when you check the hair it's banded.

I don't know why they couldn't also be a blanket back pattern but I think those would be harder to distinguish from a sable without a pattern.

There are plenty of light sables that are not patterned and I agree they are distinct from patterned sables. But then maybe their pattern is extended like a bi-color?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
In my opinion he's a patterned sable, GSD. All of the Shiloh Shepherds I've seen were lighter boned, and had a narrower snout and head.

He's a handsome dog!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts