German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One dog or many dogs come to meet your dog in unfamiliar places like the street or Parking lot?
Usually I stand in the middle regardless of the dog but i am curious about the rest of you.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Frank I normally will put Rocky in a sit, and let them "sniff" from a distance. I prefer to keep him away from strange dogs, never know what they will do...

If we are out walking and I see loose dogs I will just turn him around and avoid the situation.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I get Irate when someone approach's with a dog on the zip line all the way out and the dog 15ft in front of them, i put the pups in a sit stay, and tell the clown coming at me to stop

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Frank - could you be more specific about the kind of situation you are talking about? I think there are way too many variables here - like the temperaments of our individual dogs, the way in which other dogs approach (off leash? on leash? with the other there? without the owner?), and the place and situation you find yourself in.

If I am approached by a dog on an extending leash where the owner is totally clueless about their dog, I put mine in a sit/stay and tell the owner to reel in their dog. I step between mine and theirs, if needed, to block their dog.

If we're approached by off-leash dogs, I have mine sit/stay and tell the off-leash dogs to GO AWAY in a loud voice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris,
I was thinking in the best options for different situations, it has happened that while some dog owners tend to reel the leash while I do the same and we both keep distance, others just let their dogs be “friendly” and let their dogs approach to my girl, but of course I don’t know how friendly they are so I stand in front of my girl, as Danielle said, you never know what they will do...
Other scenario is the very recurrent situation of dogs without a leash and sometimes no owner on the sight.
Right now I try to work in variable situations, but not sure what should I teach my girl to do, with my last dog was very easy to teach her jump in my arms on command and she was safe, Savannah is kind of heavy for that.
For dogs coming at front no big issue because I have time to get action before the dog gets too close, The worst moment is when we are walking and some dog come from our backs unnoticed and my girl gets all excited while the other dog try to sniff on her.

I guess my biggest concern is that I don’t want her to be off guard and friendly but also don’t want her to be aggressive towards curious dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts