German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious as to what people almost named their dogs before settling on it.

Sydney came to me with her name. Shane was almost named DJ. Glad I went with Shane, it just fits his dumb face perfectly

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark was almost named Shep, after his sire.

I know it so obvious but I really liked it. I then thought about a book I read a few years ago, one of the characters names was Stark, in the book he always hit his mark (bow and arrow), never missed. Then when I looked up what it meant in German and found out it meant "powerful" and "strong" it only sealed the deal more. Totally suits him now.

ETA: I totally agree, Shane suits him.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Cabur, which means Mountain in Cunza, a native language.

It was the name I had for the male pup I was supposed to pick at the breeder, LOL!

Diabla came with her name, I had nothing thought for a female and I liked it anyway.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sage, and looking back I am soo glad we went with Baya, it just fits her!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Lacy came with her name.
Palla was Comet but when her older 'sister' died who she loved so much we decided to rename her after her.
Larka was Princess, she was born so tiny, she was my bottle fed baby and just so dainty. Then she became CJ (short for Cracker Jack) when she was @ 7 wks old and Larka when she was about 9 weeks old.
The name Larka came from a book I read about a wolf that saved the world.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Mine has a spot in the center of her forehead so I liked Bindi or Tikka. Both are hindi and refer to a decoration or a blessing on the forehead. My daughter hated both though, her 1st choice was Bhaalu, which means bear. I nixed that one. Finally we settled on Jiva.
I haven't yet filed Jiva's papers because I still can't decide if she's Jivananda, Jiva Bindi, Jiva Mukti, or Jivaditi. (Your input appreciated, lol)

I wanted to name Coco Chili. I still think Chili suits her better. But I lost the family vote, so Coco it is.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
We were surprised with Onyx at Christmas and for a day or two she was Magi after the three wise men or shepherds. That didn't flow well, so she became Onyx.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I went back and forth with Akbar's name, he was gonne be Wolfram, now it's his registered name not call name, or Wolfie, or Wolf. But Akbar stuck with him.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
before Tilden he was Jaxon... and before Gia she was Roxy which i never planned to keep but Legend and Lyric got thrown around a bit before i finally decided to go back to Gia - which was what i wanted to name my next dog before even meeting her, and it ended up being perfect!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Otto had a name about a year before he was born. It's from the Helen Palmer/PD Eastman story 'Fish out of water' about the little boy (who looks exactly like my son Tommy) who fed his fish so much that the fish wouldn't stop growing.

Morgan was Kira at the shelter. Didn't seem to fit her - that was before they re-imagined Battlestar Galactica and I suppose if it was after, I might have kept Kira for her.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts