German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My day so far:

1). Chama falls down the stairs (just at the bottom onto the landing) and looks up at me as if it's my fault. Bad Mom!

1a). When getting their kibble out for breakfast I notice a funny looking piece. It has what appears to be a small piece of plastic sticking out of it.
I'm thankful that I pay $50 a bag for such excellent quality control.

2). Chama doesn't want to eat her breakfast and waits patiently for me to add things in so she can see what she might get today. I use crumbled sheep's cheese and she goes for it.

3). Rafi doesn't finish his breakfast. This NEVER happens. I put yogurt in and he finishes. I worry that he has caught on to Chama's game.

4). I go outside and Rafi shows me that Cleo has hurled her breakfast onto the deck.

5). While cleaning up Cleo's puke I notice a red spot on Rafi's fur. I investigate and discover a disgusting burst abscess with blood and pus coming out.
I apply a hot compress and some cream to it. Rafi goes nuts trying to scratch it.
I finally get him calmed down by giving him a beef tendon to chew on. He falls asleep next to me. I feel nauseous.

6). The abscess still smells like infection. I remember that tea tree oil is an antiseptic and am about to head down to the basement to get the bottle.

7). I go outside to get the dog bed that Cleo peed on so that I can wash it since I'm going down to the basement anyway.

8). Chama comes up onto the deck and Rafi thinks she smells interesting. I check her neck and find that she has rolled in poop.

9). I wash her neck about 6 times and take the poopy towel and the cat pee dog bed downstairs to wash them.

So, Cleo is now happily snoozing on her outside sofa, Chama is smelling like citronella shampoo and Rafi smells like tea tree oil and his abscess looks much better. The icky animal laundry is on its second cycle (first was white vinegar) and no longer smells.

What do you think will happen next?
I am heading out to the store with the kibble now. I will drive VERY carefully!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
you need a drink!!!!

poor thing and just think its only monday hang in there it will get better

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm with littledmc...time to break out the scotch. At least you got the stinky dog laundry all clean. It'll get better.

·
Registered
443 Posts
All I can say is, OH MY! You poor thing!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
At my house someone would have eaten the puke.

At least you didn't get caught in the flooding they showed on the news tonight.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: LJsMomAt my house someone would have eaten the puke.
or at mine where the poop and the puke would have been licked clean. Hopefully not by one of the children...

My margarita will be raised in hopes you have a better one tomorrow!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: LJsMomAt my house someone would have eaten the puke.

At least you didn't get caught in the flooding they showed on the news tonight.
Normally this would be the case here too but Rafi actually listens if I tell him to leave something. If I see it before or at the same time as him then he'll leave it alone. If he gets there first without me it's fair game. Actually, Chama used to listen too but now she can't hear so there's no point in telling her to leave it.

We are having lake effect rain here but I think the areas that get lake effect snow (south of here) are getting the worst of it. I heard that they got 4 inches yesterday!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
if you didn't I did for you had a few glasses of wine!!!

my breeder feels Brady's dna isn't worth what she would normally pay (of course after all the pups are gone nice huh)

cheers hope your day gets better

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: AnnaRileyOh My what a day. But I'd be interested in the abcess to see what's there. Now go have a drink or a glass of wine!!
Well, I don't drink alcohol but I did have a tall glass of water!

I did look at the abscess closely. It was at the site where Rafi's latest mange outbreak happened. My guess is that the skin there was damaged and a hair follicle got infected. Interestingly enough, it is almost the same site where Basu often got abscesses! Basu had a lot of skin issues and his skin would just erupt from time to time so I know the routine for treating them. Thankfully it looks tons better now and no longer smells. I will continue to apply the hot compresses and tea tree oil to be sure to get all of the infection out of there.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
LOL oh goodness... my puppy sometimes plays the "add something to my food" game. lol sneaky pups! Here's to hoping you got all the bad stuff out of the way in the beginning of the week so everything else can go smoothly!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
yup a glass of wine works wonders i have a 6 month old 70 lb monster who does something and interesting everyday yup wine is a wonderful thing

good luck
Ashley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts