German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby just called and stated he shot a 13 point buck. He asked me what parts should he save (besides the obvious for processing) that Hondo can eat? This is his first deer since we started feeding raw.

Can anyone provide information on what deer parts are ok for Hondo to eat? Also, should he save the hoofs? Would they make a good chew treat?

Just for the record, this really grosses me out :sick:- but I don't want to waste anything that can be re-used. I want to make sure he puts on ice quickly anything that can be used.

Thanks so very much!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering the same thing- especially about the bones
I read that they can chew on the horns. Therefore, I told hubby save the rack, Hondo would love it! I can't put on this forum exactly what hubby said as it is against the rules, but it wasn't pretty. I suppose 13 points is a pretty good rack and he is insisting on hanging it in the house...my bad. :wild:

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Hubby just called and stated he shot a 13 point buck. He asked me what parts should he save (besides the obvious for processing) that Hondo can eat? This is his first deer since we started feeding raw.

Can anyone provide information on what deer parts are ok for Hondo to eat? Also, should he save the hoofs? Would they make a good chew treat?

Just for the record, this really grosses me out :sick:- but I don't want to waste anything that can be re-used. I want to make sure he puts on ice quickly anything that can be used.

Thanks so very much!
heart, lungs, liver, tripe, spleen, trachea, ribs/breast plate, antlers

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
^ I don't know why you couldn't keep the tongue, too.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hey save some for me!! Otto loves deer meat. I will buy some from you. :)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I can feed chicken feet (AARRGGHH!) I think I can feed just about anything. I called hubby and told him the list of things to save. His buddy is helping him with the buck. While I was telling hubby the list, hubby was saying it out loud. His buddy sat back on his feet and asked, " What exactly is your wife intending on cooking?"

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
dont forget to have him save the contents of the stomach...you know, all the grains and other plant material:rolleyes:

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Hey, I was just researching the same thing. My DH is a big deer hunter so there's a lot around here this time of year. However, he always keeps the antlers so the dogs are out of luck on that.

I found the following blog post interesting and thought you might also;

Feed your Lacy raw venison this deer season National Lacy Dog Association

Of course this person is talking about feeding the whole deer but it does go into some detail regarding preparing internal organs, etc.

There was something I read regarding the brain and I wouldn't feed that (toss the whole head out if you can't have the antlers) but I can't find it right now. (I'll post back if I do.)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great blog, Vinnie! I really thought that the hooves would be something the dogs would like. But certainly don't want it 'coming back up'.

I'm really curious as to what hubby is going to bring back with him. He won't admit it, but he is a little soft watching Hondo eat raw. I've asked him to ice everything and we'll sort through it later. I suspect he'll neglect to bring home some choice pieces.

There are 4 men hunting a large piece of property together. They've all said they'd keep pieces for me if they get something. I hope Hubby remembers our freezer space!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Hubby hunts elk, and we give them the whole head, and bottom portion of the legs, hooves and all. No problems yet and we have done this for years.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Regarding the brain - I think some deer in some areas have some kind of neurological disease? I don't feed the brain of anything. I don't think I would feed the backbone of a deer either because of the spinal cord. Not sure if the disease can be transmitted through the spinal cord but I don't want to find out the hard way.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife/CWD_QandA.htm

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

Here ya go

The prion that causes CWD accumulates in certain parts of infected animals — the brain, eyes, spinal cord, lymph nodes, tonsils and spleen — and, therefore, these tissues should not be eaten. As a precaution, health officials advise that no part of any animal with evidence of CWD should be consumed by humans or other animals.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I read that they can chew on the horns. Therefore, I told hubby save the rack, Hondo would love it! I can't put on this forum exactly what hubby said as it is against the rules, but it wasn't pretty. I suppose 13 points is a pretty good rack and he is insisting on hanging it in the house...my bad. :wild:
Molly has a deer antler and she loves it she brings it everywhere! They last for months

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
CWD is a concern if there have been cases reported in your area. Our area hasn't had any, so I am comfortable feeding brain and spine.

I've fed pretty much the entire deer to my gang...minus weightbearing bones. So no legs and I think we tossed the hips. Everything else was fair game!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CWD is a concern if there have been cases reported in your area. Our area hasn't had any, so I am comfortable feeding brain and spine.

I've fed pretty much the entire deer to my gang...minus weightbearing bones. So no legs and I think we tossed the hips. Everything else was fair game!
I saved the legs for Hondo as well. I just let him chew on them for a while while we are outside, then toss them. Hubby chopped them up into smaller pieces so we don't waste too much. What isn't finished during one chew fest is tossed. We have fire ants here so nothing can be left outside for later. I won't allow him to chew on them in the house...a bit too messy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts