German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I wait to find out what he is mixed with, I was wondering what colour he would be. I have spent the last 3 years telling everyone he is black, but is he actually sable? I didn’t know this was a thing.

feel free to guess what he could be mixed with, I will share the results when they arrive!

added pic of him at approximately 3/4 months to show how black he uses to be. Black is still his dominant colour

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
he’s brindle (blk & tan patterned) - meaning he inherited the pattern of a black and tan saddle back, presumably from the GSD parent. i don’t have any guesses as to his mix aside from being more than two breeds.

but i’m curious… you’ve been telling people he’s black? what were their responses?

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
77 Posts
he’s brindle (blk & tan patterned) - meaning he inherited the pattern of a black and tan saddle back, presumably from the GSD parent. i don’t have any guesses as to his mix aside from being more than two breeds.

but i’m curious… you’ve been telling people he’s black? what were their responses?
I'm so curious about that too! Like he's clearly not black. I would just stare and nod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I mean, in some cases he looks way more black, and when I googled brindle, he doesn’t really have the tiger striped pattern. He’s kind of all over the place colour wise lol

·
Registered
32,483 Posts
Brindle is common in Dutch shepherds, which are similar to GSDs. I don't know if brindle is a think in Malinois. Great Danes, yeah, but he doesn't look like a Dane. If I had to guess it would be a Dutch Shepherd/German Shepherd cross. Some folks were doing that to make dogs more suited to military and police work, others were just doing it because it was kool to cross dogs. Your dog could be half and half, or 3/4 to 1/4 -- would be the most likely, to be brindle.

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
I mean, in some cases he looks way more black, and when I googled brindle, he doesn’t really have the tiger striped pattern. He’s kind of all over the place colour wise lol
depending on the breed you were looking at, the brindle coloring tends to look more defined, resembling stripes, on shorter coated dogs.
Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Sighthound

what i was trying to explain before, if you take a black and tan GSD with a saddle pattern…
Water Dog Dog breed Carnivore Beach

and cross it with another dog that’s brindle in color…
Dog Carnivore Companion dog Collar Dog breed

and the pups were to inherit the pattern gene from one parent and the color gene from the other, essentially you could come out with this…
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass Herding dog

which isn’t so far off from your dogs coloring.
(i chose shepherd types for convenience, but the brindle could have come from anywhere.)
honestly, color is the easy part to determine in your dogs case.
definitely not black, nor sable.
i’d personally say brindle to keep things simple.
or black and brindle. especially since it’s his markings people are asking about.
anyway, looking forward to your breed results!

Reactions: Sunsilver

·
Registered
285 Posts
I will also be interested in his mix. BTW, I think his coloring is awesome!

If I understood information from another thread discussing brindle in GSDs, the potential is next to zero, as one parent has to actually display the color and the other would have to have the recessive gene. Some are arguing the brindle gene is virtually extinct in GSDs. Then how could the black and tan in Fodder's illustration work? Could this be an illustration as the older thread referenced in the brindle discussion thread stating genes never go extinct? And then, of course, this wonderful dog could actually have no GSD but other components in him. Will be very interesting to see the findings.

Reminding people, I know next to nothing about color genetics but find it very interesting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will also be interested in his mix. BTW, I think his coloring is awesome!

If I understood information from another thread discussing brindle in GSDs, the potential is next to zero, as one parent has to actually display the color and the other would have to have the recessive gene. Some are arguing the brindle gene is virtually extinct in GSDs. Then how could the black and tan in Fodder's illustration work? Could this be an illustration as the older thread referenced in the brindle discussion thread stating genes never go extinct? And then, of course, this wonderful dog could actually have no GSD but other components in him. Will be very interesting to see the findings.

Reminding people, I know next to nothing about color genetics but find it very interesting.
I also know nothing about colour genetics lol. But yes, from what I have read brindle is extremely rare, and if you look at the pic from when he was younger, didn’t even start coming in until he was approx 7 or 8 months

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
you guys are confusing the topic of brindle being found in purebred GSD with the color brindle in general. brindle is not rare. it can be found in many breeds. this dog is very clearly mixed. for all we know the brindle came from a dutch shepherd and his pattern came from a bloodhound.

anyone who can explain genetics more accurately is going to have a much more technical answer but also probably be less inclined to go back and forth about a dog of unknown heritage.

i thought the pictures would help.

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
he had brindle markings as a puppy as well. the black recedes as they age, just as it does in purebred B&T german shepherds.

why did you remove the photos that show his full body coloring more clearly?

·
Registered
285 Posts
you guys are confusing the topic of brindle being found in purebred GSD with the color brindle in general.

i thought the pictures would help.
Actually, I am not confusing the issue of brindle in purebred GSD vs other breeds in general. I am, though, questioning if there IS a GSD in this breeding and in the GSD breed it IS rare to nonextinct, then I simply don't understand how that could happen. I would then think that any GSD, if present in the mix, will/should be of much lower percentage than other breeds that do commonly carry this color gene.

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
Actually, I am not confusing the issue of brindle in purebred GSD vs other breeds in general. I am, though, questioning if there IS a GSD in this breeding and in the GSD breed it IS rare to nonextinct, then I simply don't understand how that could happen. I would then think that any GSD, if present in the mix, will/should be of much lower percentage than other breeds that do commonly carry this color gene.
fair enough. but i don’t understand how the % of gsd would matter. my friend had a 50% gsd 50% boxer, known parents, dog is brindle all over. suggesting that brindle does not have to be present on both sides.

edit: nevermind @SMcN i understand what you mean now.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
fair enough. but i don’t understand how the % of gsd would matter. my friend had a 50% gsd 50% boxer, known parents, dog is brindle all over. suggesting that brindle does not have to be present on both sides.

edit: nevermind @SMcN i understand what you mean now.
I was just about to post, I met a GSD/Boxer mix when Agis was a puppy, thought it was a dutch shepherd because it looked Shepherd-y but with brindle.

·
Registered
32,483 Posts
In GSDs Black is recessive to all other colors. Each parent has 2 color genes and pass one to the puppy. If a GSD was bred to a brindle Boxer or Dutch Shepherd or Great Dane, or any other breed of dog that carries brindle. If the GSD was black, meaning he had black and black as his color genes, he would pass a black on to the pup. The brindle in this case, would have passed on a brindle. The dog would be brindle, unless brindle is even more recessive than black.

The dog doesn't look like it has boxer or pit bull or even Dane in him, though Dane would be more likely than the others I think. I think he looks more like a Dutch Shepherd. My guess is Dutch/German Shepherd mix. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,639 Posts
The picture you deleted reminded me of an Australian cattle dog.

·
Registered
32,483 Posts
The picture you deleted reminded me of an Australian cattle dog.
Do they come in brindle? I know they come in merles. I am not trying to picture a ACD in brindle.

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,639 Posts
Do they come in brindle? I know they come in merles. I am not trying to picture a ACD in brindle.
The breed standard refers to “mottled or speckled”, being this dog is a mix, could this create this pups coat?

It was the head shape and expression that caught my eye.

·
Registered
32,483 Posts
The breed standard refers to “mottled or speckled”, being this dog is a mix, could this create this pups coat?

It was the head shape and expression that caught my eye.
yeah, merles, blue or red, look mottled or speckled. This pup kind of looks striped like a brindle. Only the last two photos that are left, that could be mottled or speckled. I don't know. I haven't heard of a brown merle. The red merle is a lot lighter brownish red in coloring. It's interesting, for sure, what dogs might have created this pup. In all it doesn't matter, really. What matters is the pup.

Reactions: Saphire
1 - 19 of 19 Posts