German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so I'm a bit confused as to what color are both my dogs, I always get different answers from people when were out, and wanted to know from you guys. Whom seem to be a lot more knowledgeable in this area :) Thank you all for taking a look!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Both dogs are black and tan though the mature dog has richer tan coloring.

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
Black and tan. One is a saddle back pattern and the other is a blanket back pattern right now but could fade to a saddle back as he ages

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree with Michelle & Lisa - both are B&T

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am confused by this too... LOL. It doesn't seem like it should be difficult bit I see people talking about saddle and two tone and other stuff and I'm not sure... If I can piggy back on the OP and ask the same question about Zoe

ImageUploadedByPG Free1372958644.737640.jpg

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I am confused by this too... LOL. It doesn't seem like it should be difficult bit I see people talking about saddle and two tone and other stuff and I'm not sure... If I can piggy back on the OP and ask the same question about Zoe

View attachment 87658

She's a B&T as well. Right now her pattern is a blanket back, as the black flows down her hips and part of her shoulders. It does look like it's lightening up but she'll probably stay a small blanket (large blanket would be like Michelle's Jax where the black covers the shoulder and hips completely.)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
My puppy has similar markings to your Bella, and I've been told he's a sable, lol! It's funny what people will come up with. Maybe it's the black tips on the shoulders, or the ticking on the neck, or the fancy stripes around the ruff? Lol, when you read what some people are telling the owners of the actual sables too...smile and nod...or get frustrated trying to explain something to a know-it-all. Nice pictures! :)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My puppy has similar markings to your Bella, and I've been told he's a sable, lol! It's funny what people will come up with. Maybe it's the black tips on the shoulders, or the ticking on the neck, or the fancy stripes around the ruff? Lol, when you read what some people are telling the owners of the actual sables too...smile and nod...or get frustrated trying to explain something to a know-it-all. Nice pictures! :)
Thank you! :) How old is your puppy, would love to see some pictures if you have any on hand :D

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I disagree blanketback. Zoe is a saddled black and tan. The saddle is extended, but that's not a blanket

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Thank you! :) How old is your puppy, would love to see some pictures if you have any on hand :D
You're welcome :) My little guy (lol) is 19 months - still so lanky and so silly, I still call him a puppy. Where did the time go? I've got a picture from a few months ago in my album. Ahh, snow...lol.

I disagree blanketback. Zoe is a saddled black and tan. The saddle is extended, but that's not a blanket
Yup, definitely a saddle. My puppy is also a black and tan saddle back. I think my username added to the confusion, lol. I was mostly commenting on the fact that people will say the strangest things: like my guy being a sable, lol. But I can't predict a blanket or a saddle on a puppy myself, I don't have that much experience. My blanket back looked bi-color at 8 weeks, and my saddle back looked like a blanket back at the same age.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're welcome :) My little guy (lol) is 19 months - still so lanky and so silly, I still call him a puppy. Where did the time go? I've got a picture from a few months ago in my album. Ahh, snow...
He's adorable and you're right he does look like Bella :)

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
I think it's pretty confusing trying to figure out blanket back, saddle back, etc when your dog is a puppy, especially if you are dealing with your first puppy.

Here's a little collage (I'm big on collages, lol) showing Carly at about 9 weeks, almost 6 months and as an adult (2 plus years). That black just keeps on moving up!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it's pretty confusing trying to figure out blanket back, saddle back, etc when your dog is a puppy, especially if you are dealing with your first puppy.

Here's a little collage (I'm big on collages, lol) showing Carly at about 9 weeks, almost 6 months and as an adult (2 plus years). That black just keeps on moving up!

Wow pretty girl, but my gosh how she changed, I'm big into collages too :D

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
He's adorable and you're right he does look like Bella :)
Thanks! His mother is a coatie, and when he was younger the only fur that was really long on him was that white stripe around his collar - that was crazy cute. He's getting a big head with all the compliments he gets, lol.

Carly is a very pretty girl too! Thanks for the collage, it's amazing to see them change so much. It's as if they're born with as much black as they're going to get, and as their bodies grow the black area seems to shrink, lol. I know that's not really how it is, but it's interesting to watch them change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts