German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I understand it is almost impossible to determine what color a pup will be when it grows older but I am interested in any educated guesses.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Ear
Gesture Carnivore Felidae Grey Comfort
Dog Carnivore Companion dog Dog breed Working animal
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant German shepherd dog

The pup is mostly black with grey/brown on the legs. Vent is a lighter color also.

Will the pup be a bi color? Or more likely to be a saddleback similar to the sire?

What color does that grey/brown color normally turn out to be?

PS. Yes I understand that temperament, health is more important, just wanting to know what color the pup will be when older.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,612 Posts
pup will be black and tan.
maybe a saddle, maybe a blanket… can’t tell at this age but the grandparents colors could give you a clue.
bi color is a genetic pattern…. it’s not simply a black and tan with minimal tan.
breeder would (should) be able to give you a more educated guess than we can.
very limited info here… pedigree? full litter photo?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, both are purebred with pedigree although I don't have their names to look up. Will try get that info. Breeder has advised it will be difficult to tell exactly until pups are older.

Here is a photo of the litter:
Dog breed Dog Felidae Carnivore Floor
Grey Dog breed Flooring Wood Tail

Will the lighter parts of the pups turn out the same color as the sire?

Based on my research the pups could carry a recessive bi-color gene from the sire/bitch but I'm guessing that is not the case here as there is already a bit too much light color at this stage?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts