German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All!

I’m new here. I’m going to pick up my first GSD next week and I couldn’t be more pumped. While I’m sure I’ll be hammering these forums hard in the near future I’m curious what color you all think my new best friend is and if he’ll end up darker or lighter.
Does grey sable look right? Is it cream? I don’t know. I’ll throw up some pictures from his listing to now (8-12 weeks ish).
His dad is pure white and mom is solid black. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Cat Felidae Carnivore Grass Small to medium-sized cats
Plant Dog breed Carnivore Dog Fawn
Tree Plant Land lot Carnivore Grass
Grass Carnivore Dog breed Tail Soil
Dog Keeshond Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

·
Registered
33,952 Posts
Sable is Sable is Sable. He may have different "tints" and depths of color than other sables but it's just sable. His color will change as he grows. If you have pics of him at about 6 weeks, that's probably the color he will be as a adult.

The dad's genetic color is sable with the white masking gene.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sable is Sable is Sable. He may have different "tints" and depths of color than other sables but it's just sable. His color will change as he grows. If you have pics of him at about 6 weeks, that's probably the color he will be as a adult.

The dad's genetic color is sable with the white masking gene.
Thanks for the information. Best I have is a 7 week picture and he’s definitely darker.

Dog Furniture Keeshond Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, you're in or so much fun.
Do you have large breed or herding/working dog experience? Read all the puppy and training threads, get ready!
I can’t wait! Yes. I’m familiar with bull breeds. Cane Corso and American Bulldog specifically. I do love them but I wanted to dip my toe into the GSD world for my next pup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
welcome. He's a cutie, for sure. I have no idea what color he was turn out to be, but it does look like he's going to have a nice mask. What did you name him?
Thank you. I’ve still got a week left before picking him up but I’m leaning hard towards Torben. It means “thunder bear” in German / Danish. I think it fits him pretty well.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
As said, Sable is Sable.... any other color added to that is for descriptive purposes. I'd guess he's going to be fairly light, being that dad is White, even though he will carry a black gne from his mother... he'spretty light colored. If you have a picture from when he's a day or so old, that's about what he will end up as, when fully mature.

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Registered
42 Posts
A chameleon color changer until he grows up 😆
One lady in my neighborhood legit got mad at me for 'getting so many different puppies in the past few months, you're always walking a different dog! 😠 Are you a rescue foster?' And then the lady was angry I wasn't fostering because she wanted my puppy! And she thought I kept getting different dogs 🤣 I did have a different one a few months before, but I had the same dog for a couple years and she had just passed away. She got a hair cut once and looked like a "different dog". Lol. People.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts