German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here's Maxx

He's black & red but here's my question.....his blanket has sabling (is that a word?) in it all along his spine. Close to his head and around his neck, it gets heavier. What does that mean (if anything) for his genetic color pattern?

He also does not seem to have an undercoat. His coat is silky and slick and he hardly sheds at all (nothing like Ezra, anyhow). When I groom him, I can make it through his entire coat before I have to clean shedding out of the brush. It just occurred to me that an undercoat rake may not be the right grooming tool for him, huh?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Do you have a better picture? He is probably a blanket black and red with a bitch stripe.
I have a long stock coat, and the undercoat rake is what works best, but I use a bristle brush and a slicker on some of her floofs. She still gets mats on her rear thigh areas now and then(now!)and I have to trim them out.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
An overhead body shot would be best so we can see his back.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Still very hard to tell from those photos. He looks like he could possibly be a patterned sable, as there is more ticking around the neck and shoulders area that would normally occur with the "bitch stripe" common in black/tans. But still can't say for sure from those photos. Is it possible to get photos in better lighting and focus? Also some taken from the side, showing his whole body not just his back, so we can see the overall look of the whole dog would help too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those were taken with my phone .... sorry about quality. I'll dig out my camera and take more/better photos outside later today (though it's a little cloudy here in SE Michigan today).

Yes, definitely more around his neck & shoulders. The top of his head is red, ears black. Ticking also along his spine but his sides are solid black.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MaggieRoseLee, I wish I knew. Maxx is a rescue who just came to use almost 2 weeks ago. He's about 3 years old now. BUT he looks very much like the picture you posted with the exception of the darkness under the chin.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My long coat also has this pattern along his back and neck. He isn't a sable though (the rest of his black hairs are black all the way through)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Dee, How are things going with Maxx? Settling in ok? He looks like a dark red sable to me, too....gorgeous!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah I thought that was the test, look at his hair and see if it has two colors on it (Dark at the tips and lighter by the roots). At least thats what I've been told since someone else at our club thought they had a sable and the breeder there showed them that the tan was just showing through the blanket rather than actually being two colored hairs.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
The dog I posted is definitely a coated sable. So if your dog looks like that, I bet he's the same (and lucky YOU!!!).

The banded hair thing is useless as far as I'm concerned. My black/tan with a saddle Elsa Rose had that 'sabling' all up and around her shoulders.... and it didn't make her a sable!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jane, he's doing very well..thanks for asking. 2 weeks today! He and Ezra play almost all of our waking hours (sounds like a freight train coming through the house). They walk fine together on lead. He is sleeping in my daughter's room instead of in the crate. He's completely transitioned to raw and having "lovely" poops :)

Time to start seriously working on training, though. I took them both to the hiking trails yesterday (18 acres fenced in) to see how he would do off lead. He was fine with no distractions but the minute he saw a squirrel he was GONE with zero recall. We've worked on recall in the house and backyard but it's time to get out the 30ft lead and work with that. We've been working on bonding with me & focus on me since he got here (with a little sit, down, wait thrown in) but I think we need to step it up so that we can all enjoy the nice weather that's headed our way (it is coming, right?)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here are a few better pictures with outdoor lighting. Thoughts about his color pattern?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
awwwww! He looks like a LC GSD I had years ago!!! Man, she was identical to this one!
I think her papers just said black/tan but she changed colors later on. (super jealous of your pup)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Maxx is a black and tan(red) with a tan bitch stripe. Most seem to have a whiter color stripe. He has a nice rich color:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts