German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What color would you call my pup? Is she silver sable? Black and silver/cream?

It doesn't really matter but I'd like to know what to say when people ask me so I don't sound like an idiot that doesn't know the color of my own dog! It is confusing though....

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Washed out black & tan. Unless the photo is over exposed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now i'm even more confused! Isn't a silver or cream just a washed out tan? She has no tan to her color, just white or cream, though the first pic looks like a beige cast to it but it's not. What is sable? I thought it was the speckling of black/white that she has all over, like salt& pepper. Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
952 Posts
The silver or cream is a washed out tan, hence she said a washed out black & tan. It's a weak pigment thing, but she's still considered a blk & tan.

Example of a standard coated sable. *not my dog*

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The name is Michael, not Michelle.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
apparently still a young dog? black and tan, with tan washed out -- as the dog matures the black of the saddle may shrink and there may be a salt and pepper bitch stripe going down the middle.

BUT - the dog looks sturdy and healthy and happy - that is what is important . No reason for a sad face !

·
Registered
5,270 Posts

What color would you call my pup? Is she silver sable? Black and silver/cream?

It doesn't really matter but I'd like to know what to say when people ask me so I don't sound like an idiot that doesn't know the color of my own dog! It is confusing though....
LOL just went through this conversation on another thread. Apparently Black and Tan is the pattern. The tan part can be anything from red to silver/grey. I have a black and tan sandleback girl with a bitch stripe (multiple colors on one strand) who looks more red than tan to me but it is still considered tan.

I have a black and tan male blanket back? who also is more silver/grey than tan but is still considered black and tan.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The salt and pepper color you see now is her black area shrinking but she is black and tan. Descriptivley I would say black/silver.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I see now. Yes she has lightened up quite a bit since she was a baby. I can already see the "bitch stripe" forming on her midline. She was so much more black when I got her. She is 6 months now. Here is a baby pic...so black!

·
Registered
371 Posts
The B/T gsds tend to lighten up as they get older. You can go to my album and se my male Bruno. He started out almost all the way black and he got very light in a short period of time. Your female will probably be on the light black coverage side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts