German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I received my first GSD pup Friday - over the moon happy! I was curious what his specific color type is and what to expect as an adult? His dad is black and red and mom sable. He is a wonderful pup! Thanks in advance.

Edited to add that he is currently ten weeks old.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Sable. Didn't your breeder tell you what color her was? His papers should also list his color as well.

Cute pup, have fun with him:)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She did say sable, but I got a little overwhelmed reading about all the different varieties and then made it worse by going to genetics pages! I also -thought- that sable didn't have as much red coloration as he has, and more strictly greyish? His mom almost looks like a wolf in terms of her coat.

He is AKC, but I bought him as a pet and do not personally have his papers in hand.

·
Registered
30,388 Posts
sable is sable. It's defined by the banded hair. Some are more grey, more red, more black.

It does look like there is some pattern on his face. And his belly is really dark so he could be darker with a pattern for his adult coat.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Chances are he'll look like mom if he's sable. It seems around the 9-10 week age, you might have a good idea of adult colouration on sables, give or take a few shades. My girl at 10 weeks is the same colour she is now at a year and a half. She had about one month where she went light, but other than that she kept her dark colours.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Remember to keep a photo record of how his color changes.

Sometimes it changes several times. Sometimes that seemed to happen weekly, haha!

It will be fun to look back over them once he is in his final coat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts