German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel like a numpty :help:

I've always thought Ruger was a black and tan, but someone said he looked like a faded sable. My other GSD, old man Tiki, has the exact same coloring. They look like twins, except Tiki has sideways yoda ears lol.

What color is this? Black and tan or faded sable?

(I have shared this pic before but its the best I currently have of his coloring.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it's a variation of black and tan. There's really defined black/tan and more faded ones leaning toward the tan. I think you've got one of the latter.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Sometimes, it's hard to tell in some dogs - do you have pics of your dogs of when they were itti-bitty little puppies? Sable pups are definitly sable from birth, bland and tan pups are born almost all black, then the black fades as they grow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sometimes, it's hard to tell in some dogs - do you have pics of your dogs of when they were itti-bitty little puppies? Sable pups are definitly sable from birth, bland and tan pups are born almost all black, then the black fades as they grow.
I was also going to mention this. A friend's GSD has a similar coat color (it's a female) and she was born from black and tan parents, and had a black and tan coloring. It simply faded into more tan (like the OP) than black.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Kinda looks like my dog but I would say black & tan if any black is visible. My sable dog did not have any black hairs on his sides that were noticeable. His topcoat was interspersed with golden baked-brown highlights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts