German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my new baby, Tugger. He is a sable German Shepherd. What color sable do you think he will be when he’s full grown? Will he turn to a black n tan color? Or stay sable? I’m just curious if he will stay this color or look black n tan. I’ve never er had a sable before. He looks kinda on the lighter side, he has a lot of gray in him!!

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Once a sable always a sable.
He’ll change a lot during the first year but will most likely resemble his sable parent.

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
Typical sable. I don't see anything that would indicate a patterned sable. I assume that's what you were asking?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Typical sable. I don't see anything that would indicate a patterned sable. I assume that's what you were asking?
Yes! Thank you. Sorry I am not good with the bunch of different coat names lol. But I’ve seen some very light “sables” end up being mistaken for black n tan once they’re adult. So I was just curious if he looks like he will have that. And I don’t care at all by the way, I love him he’s the best puppy. I just like to think about what he may look like especially cuz I’ve never had a sable before!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes! Thank you. Sorry I am not good with the bunch of different coat names lol. But I’ve seen some very light “sables” end up being mistaken for black n tan once they’re adult. So I was just curious if he looks like he will have that. And I don’t care at all by the way, I love him he’s the best puppy. I just like to think about what he may look like especially cuz I’ve never had a sable before!
Thank you for understanding my stupidity 🤣

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
He will go thru a lot of coat changes. First, he'll get very light and look like a malinois color then his coat will start to get dark. Whatever color he was as a newborn should be about the darkness he'll end up being as an adult.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
Patterned sables are the product of a sable parent and a black & tan parent... and from what I gather, tend to not have the toe and heel markings that traditional sables have - at least not at maturity.

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
I don't think a parent has to be black/tan. The pattern just has to be in the genetics somewhere to produce the pattern, which I believe is a different gene than color.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
I don't think a parent has to be black/tan. The pattern just has to be in the genetics somewhere to produce the pattern, which I believe is a different gene than color.
Right, patterned sables can produce patterned sables.

Edit: or blue/tan, liver/tan, etc

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
Right, patterned sables can produce patterned sables.

Edit: or blue/tan, liver/tan, etc
That's not what I said. Pattern is not the same as color. So a grandparent could be a black/tan and the puppy could be a patterned sable depending on how the genes came down.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
That's not what I said. Pattern is not the same as color. So a grandparent could be a black/tan and the puppy could be a patterned sable depending on how the genes came down.
Fair enough...
No claims to be a scientist, just never seen it happen that way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DSCN0934.JPG He's so cute!!!

DSCN0934.JPG
I'm attaching a photo of Buck. If you look real close he has spots on his toes above his nails. That's something sables sometimes have. He was young but an adult.
Either way, he's a cutie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts