German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya!

I was wanting to know how to choose a collar for a 5 month old puppy that needs to be trained to go on a leash? I'm afraid that if I use incorrectly the collar it will cause him damage! He tugs badly (in two weeks I will be taking him home) everytime I see him! How can I choose a collar that will not bother his skin, fur, and neck?

:):):):)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Before you get him home check out some local obedience schools/ trainers,and get him enrolled, at that age I used a martingale nylon collar on my pup.
I switched to a prong/pinch style collar as my dog grew and needed it but it sounds like from your post you'll need help using a training type collar and the trainer can help you with that.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Puppies shouldn't be trained with compulsion or negative reinforcement. No dogs should be taught with compulsion or negative reinforcement.

In your case, the collar is to keep the dog from wandering off. Your training aid is food or a toy, whatever works for your pup

·
Registered
682 Posts
Puppies shouldn't be trained with compulsion or negative reinforcement. No dogs should be taught with compulsion or negative reinforcement.

In your case, the collar is to keep the dog from wandering off. Your training aid is food or a toy, whatever works for your pup
That's a bold statement to make......."no dogs should be taught with compulsion or negative reinforcement", says who?

The dog is 5 months old, well old enough to put a prong on esp if he is a puller, any collar will keep the dog from wandering off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I started my pup on a flat nylon collar, and an easy-walk harness to help with the pulling on walks.

Now he has a nylon martingale/no slip collar. We only use the harness for walks when there are going to be LOTS of distractions. He is 80% loose leash walking on his martingale.

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I like a nice harness for the first couple of weeks (8-12 weeks?) and then I transition them to a nice flat buckle collar. By this point they are use to the leash and I have done the basic leash manners work with them so they aren't pulling as much.

I always like a harness for hiking or swimming with puppies though, gives me soemthing better to grab onto if needed.

I think it's just personal preference this young.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Get a good flat collar and take the pup out and just do the turn (you turning your body the opposite way ) every time pup pulls.

Most want to be out in front and when you switch directions, their pull only puts them behind you.

You'll be a bit dizzy for a day or so, but usually dogs/pups get the idea and stay much closer to you.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Xander is also five months old - I started with a flat collar and am now using a cloth/flat martingale.

If I need to I would switch to a prong collar but, for now anyway, I'm going to keep using the martingale.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi ya!

I was wanting to know how to choose a collar for a 5 month old puppy that needs to be trained to go on a leash? I'm afraid that if I use incorrectly the collar it will cause him damage! He tugs badly (in two weeks I will be taking him home) everytime I see him! How can I choose a collar that will not bother his skin, fur, and neck?

:):):):)
Basically they have a smaller type of prong collar you can use which won't cause any harm to the pup. I found using these collars you don't have to correct the pup since everytime he tries to pull ahead the collar will correct this behavior. I was against these type of collars with our first GSD, but when I got tired of him pulling me around I tried it and was very surprised with the result. This is a collar that only needs to be worn when the dog is going to class or out for a walk only

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello good morning guys!!

I'm pretty scared to use a prong collar, and anything with a chain (especially sience I do not have any experience). So I know I will not try them! This is my first GSD, and my puppy's last owner told me to buy a "GSD type collar" so I was like what is that?? He told me never to use a harness because he is growing, and it could cause him problems.

I was looking at this

Collare Hunter pelle di bue Black - da zooplus conviene di più

What do you guys think about it? What type of collar is this?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. he had a flat collar untill
he was 6 months old or older. find an OB class. spend a lot of
time training and socializing.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree with doggiedad- get to a class. See if there's an obedience training club in your area, you'll get a lot of help with fitting and using the appropriate equipment. And keep an open mind--the prong/pinch collar can be a valuable tool if used properly

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree with doggiedad- get to a class. See if there's an obedience training club in your area, you'll get a lot of help with fitting and using the appropriate equipment. And keep an open mind--the prong/pinch collar can be a valuable tool if used properly

X2- A good trainer will teach you how to use most of the equipment the right way, a flat buckle collar can be more dangerous than a prong.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was nervous about prong collars as well - (our pup is going to be 10 mos this month) however, in our next level obedience class (which starts 2/10) - the trainer's tool of choice is a prong and she prefers the smallest prong available - I ordered mine last week from an online site and have just received a HS with leather woven through - stainless steel. It will only be used for training/walking. It's a beautiful collar -- it does not look big and scary like the ones I've seen at the pet stores. (and I am a total sap when it comes to my dogs.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts