Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Saddle

Votes: 7 63.6%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! My 12wk old pup was the only dark one in a little of 7 sable ones.

My question is... what coat marking is MY pup? And how much of his coat will change? Drastically? or not TOO much. I LOVE the way his coat is now, and pray it won't change too much. Any feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Definetely black and tan...it's very hard to tell pattern because he's so young but I'll guess saddle from the amount of tan. You'll have to update in about a year :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definetely black and tan...it's very hard to tell pattern because he's so young but I'll guess saddle from the amount of tan. You'll have to update in about a year :)
Saddle really? Idk why I've always thought he was bi-color. LOL, til someone corrected me and said he's blanket back.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
He is not bicolor. The third color is white.
Bicolor dogs have an all-black head and only some tan on the paws with black penciling.
You won't know what he truly is until he is at least one year old.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is not bicolor. The third color is white.
Bicolor dogs have an all-black head and only some tan on the paws with black penciling.
You won't know what he truly is until he is at least one year old.
So is it safe to say he's saddle backed then?

I guess what I'm really trying to get down to is how his coat will look like when he starts growing his adult coat. I really hope he doesn't change that much lol. I am completely in love with how he is/looks right now haha

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
So is it safe to say he's saddle backed then?

I guess what I'm really trying to get down to is how his coat will look like when he starts growing his adult coat. I really hope he doesn't change that much lol. I am completely in love with how he is/looks right now haha
He might stay a blanket back. Mine did. But you never know until he finishes getting his adult coat.:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He might stay a blanket back. Mine did. But you never know until he finishes getting his adult coat.:)

Ugh! I'm dying to know what he'll end up looking like! Haha, but I guess we'll just see when he grows up. They start changing between 8-9mos right?

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
Well if he was full-grown, he probably would be a blanket back. Hmmm, lets see if I can do a little pictoral:

This is Rushie, he is a blanket back, though he started to lighten just a little on the upper leg:

He had a litter of puppies. Ok, Babs had the litter, he was the sire.
Here are some around 8 weeks old:

Milla 9-10 weeks:

Scarlet and Milla:

And here they are at about 12 weeks:
Ninja and Milla:

Scarlet at about 16 weeks:

And this is Ninja:

Now a mostly grown up photo of Milla and then Ninja, Milla is a saddle, and Ninja is a blanket:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
He'll start to lighten in the next couple months if he's going to be a saddle. Also they tend to have a slight stripe of tan up their thighs to their tail bases if they're going to lighten.

I would GUESS he'll be a blacl and tan blanket back, so stay about the same. Might be a saddle though.

Hes not a bi color.

Here is my blanket back at 8 weeks 11 weeks and as an adult

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
It's really difficult to say, you could get somewhat an idea by looking at the patents but its one of this things that's hard to say for sure. All black/tan and black/red puppies are born almost completely black so most puppies that age look like yours do now, the tan/red comes in more as they age.

Now my pup hasn't changed all that much but he has a lot of East German working line in him, his dam and several other dogs on that side were solid black dogs. I'm predicting that he will be a blanket back but he's only 8 months and that could still change.

IMG_0371 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_9077 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I will say zekes mother was a black and tan saddle and his father was pure black, but every pup in the litter was a blanket back

·
Registered
32,022 Posts
Rush's sire was a black and his dam was a saddle black and tan, I am not sure about all the litter as I purchased him when he was ten weeks and only saw one sister and one brother. I went to classes with the brother for six weeks, and saw the sister a couple of years later, those two both looked to be blanket backs as well.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Oops parents, not patents silly iPad autocorrect lol. And same Ollie's sire was a black and red traditional saddle and dam was solid black... I haven't seen his littermates but I do know there was one bi-color in his litter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well if he was full-grown, he probably would be a blanket back. Hmmm, lets see if I can do a little pictoral:

This is Rushie, he is a blanket back, though he started to lighten just a little on the upper leg:

He had a litter of puppies. Ok, Babs had the litter, he was the sire.
Here are some around 8 weeks old:

Milla 9-10 weeks:

Scarlet and Milla:

And here they are at about 12 weeks:
Ninja and Milla:

Scarlet at about 16 weeks:

And this is Ninja:

Now a mostly grown up photo of Milla and then Ninja, Milla is a saddle, and Ninja is a blanket:

Thank you so much for the pictorial! So I see Milla practically turned silver! While Ninja stayed blanket huh. I hope my pup stays blanket! Thanks again! Shows me how much a pup can change once he starts to mature.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thats very interesting that three different litter combinations of black x black and tan saddle produced blanket backs

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Thats very interesting that three different litter combinations of black x black and tan saddle produced blanket backs

My breeder breeds this combination often and told me from the start before he was born that he would be blanket back or have a large saddle. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seeing as how he has some white on his neck, and some inside his thighs... does this suggest he'll more closely resemble a "silver" coat GSD when he gets bigger?

And why do people vote Saddle?

How do you/they know?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts