German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new GSD owner and I'm facing some trouble. I haven't had a puppy since I was a kid and the readjustment has been tough. My puppy will be 12 weeks old on Monday and she's full of energy - as expected. I don't have an unrealistic expectation that she'll just sit around and do nothing all day.

My problem is I don't know what to do with her. I want to play with her to get some of that energy out so she'll be calmer, but she doesn't really care about her rope or any tug toys and has no desire to chase a ball.

The only thing I've noticed she enjoys doing is chasing me around, which is a problem for a couple of reasons - 1) I live in Arizona and it's been at least 110 degrees outside for the last couple of weeks and I can't just run around my house and 2) I don't want her growing up thinking it's ok to chase people.

I've been taking her walks (even though she hasn't had her rabies shot yet but we live in a community of homes with very few dogs) early in the morning and late at night when the temperature is bearable for about an hour, but I don't know what to do for the rest of the day.

TL;DR: My dog doesn't like toys and I don't want her just chasing me. What can I do?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
There are plenty of things you can do. get a flirt pole and play with her. If you have trees cut off a 4-5 foot long branch with leaves on it and have her chase that. Try rolling her the ball she may have more desire to chase if she watches it roll on the ground. work on basic obedience sit, down, come, etc... Short sessions. wrestle with her, buy her a kiddie pool to play in when its 110 degrees. There are other things just use your imagination.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does she like treats? Would she play fetch if that meant she would get a treat every time?
I have noticed with my pup that she only wants to play fetch with certain balls. She loves fetch with a baseball but not a tennis ball. I throw the tennis ball and she doesn't even budge.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Keep working with the toys .. make them wiggle on the ground and creep. You can teach your pup that toys are fun. Sometimes ball drive develops as they age. My pup wasn't gaga over balls until he was 3 or 4 months old. Now ... obsess much? He always loved a flirt pole. I just used a horse lunge whip and tied a stuffless stuffed animal to the tip. At 3 he still goes crazy if I get it out.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
calm begets calm.

it seems that people not knowing how to "be" with a dog is a pretty big problem.

quote "My problem is I don't know what to do with her. I want to play with her to get some of that energy out so she'll be calmer, but she doesn't really care about her rope or any tug toys and has no desire to chase a ball.

The only thing I've noticed she enjoys doing is chasing me around"

what is your life like -- have the dog join your life .

Having a dog chase you as a game is never a good idea -- you are not her prey and you are not her toy and how long do you think this can last. Prey results in a "catch" .

Use that desire to follow you around and exploit that in to an obedience exercise --- follow me, heel , stop when you stop, step back a few big steps and call her into a recall.

model ideal behaviour that you want to see as an adult.

sounds like she has high social drive -- use it to your benefit.

what would happen if you took a chair and a cold one and sat in the shade giving her an opportunity to rest beside you.

see what her focus is in a calm state .

since nothing else is competing for her attention see if she will get a ball that is tossed within a few feet distance from your
"home base" -- not far , not fast . See if she will venture out . Let her work it out . If she brings it back into your social zone , give quiet praise and let her have it.

Does the dog carry ?

Give her a chore -- .

·
Banned
56 Posts
I'm a new GSD owner and I'm facing some trouble. I haven't had a puppy since I was a kid and the readjustment has been tough. My puppy will be 12 weeks old on Monday and she's full of energy - as expected. I don't have an unrealistic expectation that she'll just sit around and do nothing all day.

My problem is I don't know what to do with her. I want to play with her to get some of that energy out so she'll be calmer, but she doesn't really care about her rope or any tug toys and has no desire to chase a ball.

The only thing I've noticed she enjoys doing is chasing me around, which is a problem for a couple of reasons - 1) I live in Arizona and it's been at least 110 degrees outside for the last couple of weeks and I can't just run around my house and 2) I don't want her growing up thinking it's ok to chase people.

I've been taking her walks (even though she hasn't had her rabies shot yet but we live in a community of homes with very few dogs) early in the morning and late at night when the temperature is bearable for about an hour, but I don't know what to do for the rest of the day.

[Edit: Also, make sure you're supervising him with any of the 'toys' you make for him]
TL;DR: My dog doesn't like toys and I don't want her just chasing me. What can I do?
Have you tried taking an empty milk jug and kicking it around the floor? My puppy goes absolutely NUTS over plastic bottles, chases them and 'kicking' them with his paws. Another thing I like to do is take a string, or yarn, tie up my kong (I have both the regular kong and the bone shaped kong) tie it up, or tie up a ball .. Like a nerf ball and start bouncing it around on the string, and roll it around the floor to interest your pup. Or even a piece of sheep wool or a tea towel you don't want anymore and tie it with a string.

Another thing you do is you can take a plastic water bottle, drop kibble in it enough kibble so the bottle makes loads of noises, put the cap on tightly, tie the bottle with a string, and start shaking it, or drop it on the floor and kick it around to grasp her attention.

Also be sure to throw in a couple of training sessions during the play process, for 1 - 2 minutes.

You can make toys out of literally anything if you're creative with it to where your pup is more interested in the toys you made rather than the store bought ones.

You can also buy her an edible bone.. Not made of actual bone of course, that will keep her busy for HOURS.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Are you doing mental exercises? Clicker+food and you can start teaching your puppy some valuable life skills for later.

Puppy kong chew times

Have you tried squeaky toys? Cuz is always a hit with my dogs and boarders and they come in smaller sizes for smaller mouths

1 - 7 of 7 Posts