German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a "friend" for bubbles. She is very picky which dogs she likes. she likes some breeds more then others I've noticed. she also plays rough and loud so she is intimidating even though she is the first to run away from a fight. So I'll probably get one from the pound or a breeder. I know most dogs at the pound are mixed but at least I could get an idea which ones are more compatible with German shepherds. the new dog has to be able to go hiking, swimming, biking with us. I don't really want 2 gsds I'd like a more easy going dog .

what breeds would you recommend? no pit bulls or Chihuahua.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'd like to think my Golden gets along well with my Shep, but if you ask her, she hates him. But he loves her to the moon & back...and she doesn't really argue when they are playing and she does stand there when he kisses her nose, so don't go by her opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
My Lab is great. That said, she is a GSD in a Lab suit. Plays rough and hard, can hike, hunt, play and is the right size. Plus she has very good dog manners. Is good about reading other dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is Bubbles an Alpha dog or submissive? I would say that it depends on the dog's natural temperament.

My GSD is female and is submissive to my Belgian... so they are a match made in heaven... They both have strong pack instincts and will spend every minute they can together. however my GSD will sometimes get in shouting matches (about once a week) with our Beagle, because she sees the Beagle as being lower on the totem pole because of her size (but our beagle is not really a pack dog like the other two, and has a strong independent streak).

However, although they have little spats, there is a lot of love between all three.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My GSD has 2 Doberman buddies, one is a male and the other is a female. He has a male GSD friend, a female GSD/Husky mix, a female ACD mix, a female Akita, a male Min Pin and a female Min Pin. He's never met a dog he didn't like. I would say though that the Dobermans are his best friends, they are the same size, same weight and they look excellent together.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is Bubbles an Alpha dog or submissive? I would say that it depends on the dog's natural temperament.

My GSD is female and is submissive to my Belgian... so they are a match made in heaven... They both have strong pack instincts and will spend every minute they can together. however my GSD will sometimes get in shouting matches (about once a week) with our Beagle, because she sees the Beagle as being lower on the totem pole because of her size (but our beagle is not really a pack dog like the other two, and has a strong independent streak).

However, although they have little spats, there is a lot of love between all three.
she is submissive .

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an Australian cattle dog (heeler) and they get along great. My GSD is also around a lot of other herding breeds (aussies, border collies, and catahoulas) and he does great with all of them! I think it is more a matter of matching temperaments rather than breeds.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sorry about the no pit-bulls. I really like the shepherd/pit bull combo. Perhaps another type of terrier as they are tough and smart.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Agree that it is a shame about no Pit Bulls but of course everyone has their own preferences. My German Shepherd is very rough in his play and body slams/crashes into other dogs all the time. The only dog he's consistently good with is my neighbor's bully type mix :) They're the same age and play together very well.

Somewhere down the road I'd personally like to have a Whippet. Very different dogs from what I'm accustomed to, but they're also very non-confrontational and fairly complacent. I already have one pushy, "in your face", occasionally obnoxious dog (when it comes to playing) and with his affinity for delivering corrections, a low key unobtrusive dog would be best with him.

If you're looking to adopt, I'd just go by your current dog's temperament and then evaluate and choose the second dog accordingly. I'm assuming that you'll be adopting an adult, and if that's the case it'll be fine to decide based on how the dogs are as individuals.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an Australian cattle dog (heeler) and they get along great. My GSD is also around a lot of other herding breeds (aussies, border collies, and catahoulas) and he does great with all of them! I think it is more a matter of matching temperaments rather than breeds.
I agree with you on temperaments matching but it seems like certain breeds have a more characteristic temperament. My dog is so scared of chiuhuas and pit bulls. I have no idea why this is.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
don't get me wrong I'm not a hater of pit bulls. I like them but they are not bubbles type.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
forget breeds, the concept is generally lost anyway, test drive specific dogs, pb/mutts, be my hero and save a rescue. adult dog tested you will know what you are getting, you should be able to hand it back if it doesn't work out.

my gsd runs with 3 curs, they fit in good around the house but the poor gsd just gets overwhelmed by them in outside play as it's hard for a gsd to match their athleticism.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
forget breeds, the concept is generally lost anyway, test drive specific dogs, pb/mutts, be my hero and save a rescue. adult dog tested you will know what you are getting, you should be able to hand it back if it doesn't work out.

my gsd runs with 3 curs, they fit in good around the house but the poor gsd just gets overwhelmed by them in outside play as it's hard for a gsd to match their athleticism.
yes I agree . I want to save a dog but the choice will be up to bubbles.

BTW what is a cur?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
another GSD of course!!!! really just about any herding breed can keep up and match pretty well. Dobermans, rottweilers.... corgi's though smaller can match pretty well also.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts