German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I'm going to be adopting this beautiful baby but I wanted to get some thoughts on what breed you think he may be and if his ears will stand. The rescue is putting his age around 3 months. These photos are from a video of him running around so it's hard to tell about his ears! I can also email the video since I can't upload it! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Love his coloring! Looks big:eek:. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Might be a dutch shepherd but also might be a mix with another brindle breed plus shepherd. What is the story behind this dog? Where is the dog located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is his shelter picture from when they pulled him. This was the only picture of him they had at the time and he already had me in love with him! Not sure of his back story, I'll ask when I pick him up this weekend. What do you guys think of his ears? Do you think they'll stand? I know its kind of hard to tell with these pictures but the whole time he runs around he holds his ears back. Once he sits pretty his one ear goes up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Pictures are not that great. One of the last postings, his snout looks huge which makes me think GSD mix. Dutchies are more fine featured. Could be a GSD/dutchie mix, but really it is just a guess as it is with the ears. Unless you know the breed or the mix, just guessing what the ears will do. It is a crap shoot so be ready for up or down. Also, if he is dutchie, be ready for a boat load of energy and potential for reactiveness.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To me, his head is very German Shepherd. He might be a GSD/Dutch Shepherd mix. I'm not expert, though. But I'd say he's got a good deal of shepherd in him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone :) unfortunately these pictures are from a video and are all I have right now but will post an update when we pick him up. I'm hoping that since his ears perk up when he sits pretty that maybe his ears are starting to post up but only time will tell.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am looking at the paws... don't look like Moose paws that big breed dogs usually have. And I will bet my bottom dollar he is way way past 3 months of age. Just because one ear is drooping doesn't mean he is a baby.

But he has an interesting color, he will probably be 50-60lbs full grown. Judging from the snout he has some GSD, but my fear is the other half might be pitbull.

I am sorry, but I am not a pitbull fan.

What is most important is temperament, run some checks to see if he is calm tempered.
Check youtube for videos on how to, or you can pay a professional trainer to come along.

I personally would never adopt a shelter dog, because without knowing the heredity of the dog - for joints, hips, temperament of parents, etc getting a dog is a liability. Yes you might get lucky and get a sweet dog. But I feel it is akin to: Yes it is possible, but how often do you actually find $100 dollar bills blowing on to your driveway?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I personally would never adopt a shelter dog, because without knowing the heredity of the dog - for joints, hips, temperament of parents, etc getting a dog is a liability. Yes you might get lucky and get a sweet dog. But I feel it is akin to: Yes it is possible, but how often do you actually find $100 dollar bills blowing on to your driveway?[/QUOTE]

I personally have only had shelter/rescue dogs and all of them where $100 dollar bills!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Kinda look like a dutch shepherd... have you been taking pic with a potato ? ;p cause even the shelter has better camera than you or at least can hold the camera steady hahha

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I personally would never adopt a shelter dog, because without knowing the heredity of the dog - for joints, hips, temperament of parents, etc getting a dog is a liability. Yes you might get lucky and get a sweet dog. But I feel it is akin to: Yes it is possible, but how often do you actually find $100 dollar bills blowing on to your driveway?
I've got two shelter dogs and a rescue dog. I personally don't buy dogs from breeders anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately we have not met him in person yet because he's a five hour drive away. Yes I know I'm crazy for adopting a dog I've never seen before! But after seeing the video I fell in love with that face! I guess once we go to pick him up I can make the final decision since we haven't payed them yet. And I already have two shelter dogs and I love them like my own children so getting a mixed shelter breed isn't an issue :)

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
More pictures! What do you think??
Oh what a sweetie! I'm with you, feel a little like I'm looking right into his soul. The eyes are everything with me. This pup's reaching out big time for someone to love him.

Bla Bla about "don't know what your getting".... Hybrid vigor is a proven fact. I'm not a fan of Pitts either and he could be GSD/Pitt but - I had a GSD-Am Strat Terrior for 14 years and she was a wonderful loving dog, BUT she did not tolerate any other female dog EVER and she killed a male dog that got onto our property when she had a litter.

I would inquire if you have other dogs as to possible Pitt or Am Strat before making a decision....

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Unfortunately we have not met him in person yet because he's a five hour drive away. Yes I know I'm crazy for adopting a dog I've never seen before! But after seeing the video I fell in love with that face! I guess once we go to pick him up I can make the final decision since we haven't payed them yet. And I already have two shelter dogs and I love them like my own children so getting a mixed shelter breed isn't an issue :)
If that makes you crazy, I am crazier. I adopted two out of state shelter dogs, sight unseen - one from SC, and one from KY. The SC dog was delivered on transport to my front door. The KY dog was transported to a drop off point about two hours away. I met them, when they got here. It was a done deal. I wouldn't trade either of them for the world.

A decent shelter can give you a pretty good idea of temperament, as well as any possible issues. Mixes are always a guess. Who cares? That is a gorgeous pup. I say, "Go for it!"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.