German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anything that is mixed with a Pitbull/American Bulldog. Have broken up way to many fights with these breeds, and always seem to encoutner the same problems when interacting with them.

The other breed being a lab. To be more specific chocolate labs. All seem way to hyper and nuerotic for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any "designer dog". It's just a mutt mix that bybreeders make money on and sell to ignorant consumers. There are thousands of beautiful mixed breeds in shelters already. Do we actually need to have them bred intentionally?? ?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Any "designer dog". It's just a mutt mix that bybreeders make money on and sell to ignorant consumers. There are thousands of beautiful mixed breeds in shelters already. Do we actually need to have them bred intentionally?? ��
That's a good point. And I realized I have far less ire than I maybe "should" surrounding that. I don't care that much. I do understand why someone would.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I would never own a Labrador Retriever, any toy dog, any dog with a "smashed in" muzzle, or a Husky.
Labs are too.....I don't really know. They're just not GSDs.
All of the toy dogs I've met have small dog syndrome.
Breeds with "smashed in" muzzles just look odd to me. I don't mean to be offensive, I just don't like it.
Huskies are too independent minded for my liking. Gorgeous though!

The GSD, I think, will be my forever breed.

·
Registered
761 Posts
This thread seems like its bashing other breeds. Kind of sad, I have always owned different breeds. NO I don't think any breeds are better than any other. So this thread is kind of dumb. I love German Shepherds but I have also owned huskies and smaller breeds such as terriers and my most recent puppy a Shiba Inu. He doesn't have the small breed attitude. Anyway to answer the original question German Shepherds are on the top of my list but I wouldn't put the other breeds down. Personally I have always loved big breeds but am open to owning anything aslong as I bond with it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
This thread seems like its bashing other breeds. Kind of sad, I have always owned different breeds. NO I don't think any breeds are better than any other. So this thread is kind of dumb. I love German Shepherds but I have also owned huskies and smaller breeds such as terriers and my most recent puppy a Shiba Inu. He doesn't have the small breed attitude. Any to answer the original question German Shepherds are on the top of my list but I wouldn't put the other breeds down.

I second you.!!!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
This thread seems like its bashing other breeds. Kind of sad, I have always owned different breeds. NO I don't think any breeds are better than any other. So this thread is kind of dumb. I love German Shepherds but I have also owned huskies and smaller breeds such as terriers and my most recent puppy a Shiba Inu. He doesn't have the small breed attitude. Anyway to answer the original question German Shepherds are on the top of my list but I wouldn't put the other breeds down. Personally I have always loved big breeds but am open to owning anything aslong as I bond with it.
Interesting. I read the OP as saying, "There's nothing objectively wrong with these dogs, I just don't think I want to own one."

I don't see the issue.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Interesting. I read the OP as saying, "There's nothing objectively wrong with these dogs, I just don't think I want to own one."

I don't see the issue.
Wasn't talking about the OPs post. Just some of these comments are kind of making other breeds out to be below German Shepherds. I love all breeds and of course everyone has a favorite but no need to pin point.

For example pulling the flaws out from every breed seems unneccesary. I get that not all dogs are a person ''cup of tea'' but I do feel like all dog breeds are matched with the right person. Just because a lab, pitbull, husky, smashed face dogs are not to your liking. Doesn't mean they aren't seen as the best breeds to other people. I personally prefer tiny squished faces lol.........

Sorry if I am coming off mean, But I love all breeds and would take anything in a heart beat if it was meant to be.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Wasn't talking about the OPs post. Just some of these comments are kind of making other breeds out to be below German Shepherds. I love all breeds and of course everyone has a favorite but no need to pin point.

For example pulling the flaws out from every breed seems unneccesary.
They're backing up their statements.

I don't read it as bashing. I mean...if I were to just say, "I don't like labs" then that doesn't contribute much. (I do actually like labs fine.) If I were to say, "I'd rather not own a lab because of their tendency toward pica," then that's potentially more interesting to read.

Some people are just never happy unless they are unhappy. :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
They're backing up their statements.

I don't read it as bashing. I mean...if I were to just say, "I don't like labs" then that doesn't contribute much. (I do actually like labs fine.) If I were to say, "I'd rather not own a lab because of their tendency toward pica," then that's potentially more interesting to read.

Some people are just never happy unless they are unhappy. :D
I guess I see what you mean.

·
Registered
26 Posts

For example pulling the flaws out from every breed seems unneccesary. I get that not all dogs are a person ''cup of tea'' but I do feel like all dog breeds are matched with the right person. Just because a lab, pitbull, husky, smashed face dogs are not to your liking. Doesn't mean they aren't seen as the best breeds to other people. I personally prefer tiny squished faces lol.........

Sorry if I am coming off mean, But I love all breeds and would take anything in a heart beat if it was meant to be.

This is a German Shepherd forum so in my personal opinion i dont think it would be all to crazy to expect people to think other breeds are as you say "below".

·
Registered
761 Posts
This is a German Shepherd forum so in my personal opinion i dont think it would be all to crazy to expect people to think other breeds are as you say "below".
I get that. I never said they couldn't choose GSDs just so we are clear. I said pointing out every flaw known to man isn't necessary. I think I would know seeing as I am on a GSD forum.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I second you.!!!
Thanks! i mean i get that everyones cup of tea is clearly a GSD which is great! because I love them aswell! But i just noticed certain people are talking down about the other breeds. All breeds are different as even humans are different. Its become more of a dog rant. I know everyone is backing up their responses but being so negative about other breeds is wrong. Not to mention many people on this forum own other breeds. So i am sure i am not.in the wrong when I say this. Take it the way you want to take it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I usually go with, "anything that requires a lot of daily grooming."

I can deal with needing to visit a groomer now and then, our last little mutt Woofles needed that to keep his face and butt fur trimmed, and Quinn is a mini-Schnauzer, so she also needs regular grooming.

In her case, I keep her in a puppy cut with an adult beard as she doesn't care for being brushed around her legs, and longer fur = mats whereas puppy cut = happy dog that needs no brushing at home. I can comb her beard out no problem.

Bear only goes to the groomer when coat blows start; they get the, "Bathe him, clip his nails, and brush him for as long as he'll tolerate it and if it spans into two appointments this week, we'll do that" treatment as I enjoy having coat blows over with in 48 hours. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Any type of poodle, and anything mixed with a poodle. God I can't stand them. That coat gives me the shivers, and the long super skinny face is just ugly.

I don't like terriers either, and especially hate Jack Russles.

Anything "teacup" size.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Anything "teacup" size.
With three cats and two active humans in my house, I'd worry about the safety of anything "teacup" size! I am pretty sure my one cat (who hates miniature anything) would set out to kill it, and another would decide it was an easy target. He was standing up to my GSD puppy when he thought it was getting too curious about the other two cats, so I am positive a teacup anything wouldn't last long!

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me:

A Malinois. They are just too much dog for me. I don't think I could handle one. Then again, I haven't ever owned a dog, & haven't had one as "family" pet.

Most hounds. They just don't appeal to me.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Aww the Lab haters are breaking my heart. lol I grew up with them, and I think they are wonderful family pets. They are a much easier dog to own than a GSD, much more forgiving and are still pretty versatile dog, willing and happy. My dad's current Lab is a chocolate and she's as sweet and mellow a dog as you could ever want, if that's what you're into ;)

I don't particularly like sighthounds. I find them too delicate, meek and timid, they seem to shut down whenever it suits them and decide they don't want to work anymore. Odd, since I own a Lurcher. lol

Small dogs in general, I think mostly because they tend to be terrier's, and because people never train them properly.

I don't really like LGD's as a whole. I think they are cool dogs, but inevitably end up with an owner who shouldn't own one, or bought it for the wrong reasons entirely.

I guess I find most of the breeds I don't like are not so much a problem with the breed of dog, but a problem with the people who own them that shouldn't. lol

101 - 120 of 144 Posts