German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was alway under the impression that Border Collies required more mental exercise than any other breed.

If I'm wrong in thinking that then my mistake for adding the BC to my list.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
PIT BULLS! I love them, I have not met a pittie I did not like, but I don't think I'd own one until I felt 100% assured of my ability to handle one and work one. If I were a hoghunter I'd have a Catahoula and a pit by my side for sure (and that may happen yet).

Puli or Komondor - Actually I would love to have one. If I had enough land and some livestock, I think I'd find me a couple of Komondorok to keep the opportunists at bay. The only problem is finding enough patience to deal with that coat! Same with pulik, except instead of guarding it would be fun to have them for herding.

Danes and Wolfhounds - Too short a lifespan for such awesome dogs (and such high prices).

Loose-flewed mastiffs such as the Neo and Newf - I *love* them, but not the drool, and since the drool is quite prevalent and the loose flews are part of the standard, I shall admire those beautiful giants from afar.

Jagdterrier - LOVE these guys, have not met one but they sound like the most energetic, ornery, and rough Jack Russell ever. I'd only have one if I took up hunting/bloodtracking.

Munsterlanders, German longhaired pointer, import longcoated blue weimaraner (from where they're still allowed per breed standard), field line springers or setters - Dying to have one of any of those guys but I'd have to take up hunting or find one from hunting lines that has no bird sense whatsoever that the breeder has no choice but to place in a pet home. Field lines seem to be so nicely bred for hunting that if I didn't hunt the dog, I would feel like I was wasting a good dog. Not that upland game hunting isn't a bad thing, it's just that I think my aim is only slightly better than a blind person with no arms. Just slightly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mastiff - Love them !! There is a breed of them that doesnt drool...will never find that out !

Cane Corso- beautiful muscular esp. in the neck. don't want a muscle dog.

St. Bernard- Again drool factor, want a protective dog, not one that will not only unlock the door for the bad guy, but will also serve them tea n cookies....

Malteese- Really cute to look at, I know for a fact I would certainly step on them, and I KNOW MY DH certainly would and kill it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bassett Hound--adorable but slobber too much and are too slow

Husky--beautiful but high energy and had a neighbor who left theirs lonely all day, he dug up the back yard...served 'em right

Any dog that slobbers constantly...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoHuskies. They're absolutely gorgeous dogs. But I don't think I could handle their desire to escape and run until they're ready to come back.
I have one, always wanted one from a child on up! They and the GSD are truely OPPOSITES!!!! I love them both! Would I own another, I truely don't know ???

I have always wanted an Afghan Hound, just too much grooming for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally Posted By: Bellidansa
Mastiff - Love them !! There is a breed of them that doesnt drool...will never find that out !
Nebolish Mastiff. They are not AKC recognized. They are CMA and ABA recognized.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Bernese Mountain Dogs are one of my absolute favorite dogs. I love their looks, their work ethic, their personality.

I just love big dogs. But I won't get a dog whose life expectancy is so short. And there's all that grooming. And they get so hot in the summer. But mostly, it's the darn short life. 6-8 years. Heartbreaking. Newfs too (though they tend to live a smidge longer.)

Standard poodles are great dogs too. Irish setters are probably the one of the prettiest breeds . But I'd need a live-in hairdresser for either.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoHuskies. They're absolutely gorgeous dogs. But I don't think I could handle their desire to escape and run until they're ready to come back.
I would have to agree with you 100%!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Standard Poodle, they fascinate me. But they rarely turn up in rescue and I could never convince myself to buy a puppy when there are soooo many dogs in need of adoption.

Small dogs...I like cats and think a cuddly lap type dog would be fun but I think my GSDs would not agree!!

My boy just came in for a hug and made me realize that I have the only dog I need right now!!! Love that dog!!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Alaskan Malamute-- beyond gorgeous dogs..personable, friendly, tons of personality and again GORGEOUS! But, they are doomed to a lifetime of confinement being forever on lead. The only time they can be 'free' to move off lead is in your backyard... very securely fenced. I want a dog that I can have the option to give him his freedom off lead once in a while. Once you have lived with a dog that is as biddable as the GSD, you get spoiled.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Collie..........way too much hair and too much grooming required.

·
Registered
501 Posts
any small breed, or something overly large, lol. when i was looking at puppies right before we got beamer, i wanted a small breed SO bad. but now i have beamer, i dont think i can downsize (i WOULD make an exception for a bulldog but thats it). & really large dogs, i dont think i could do it. i'm tiny & they look so overbearing, lol. i think beamer is big enough for me (plus we have a toddler).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
rough-coated Collie - way too much grooming (LH GSD like Oskar is about as much hair as I want to go)

Border Collies & Australian Shepherds - love their intelligence, too much energy though (GSDs know when to turn it off)

Huskies & Malamutes - love love love their looks, but the urge to run and dig, and the aloofness isn't for me (Sandy's Kayto seems to break that rule, I <3 Kayto!)

Pit Bulls - have yet to meet a mean one personally, all I've met have been sweet and people oriented, but there's too much risk

English Bulldogs - fun loving characters, but delicate digestive systems and horrible gas (DH says only Osk's sense of smell is better than mine, LOL!)

Greyhounds - oh man, I'd take every single one of the sweethearts at NorthernGreyhoundAdoptions.org here in VT if I could! We've been up there a couple times now to walk & socialize dogs, SO much rewarding fun, the kids love the dogs too! Never thought of myself as wanting one - they are SO different from my beloved GSDs - but met some of the dogs from their kennel a few months ago and fell in love. If we were to adopt we'd need a fenced-in yard, would have to work on getting a Grey to be trustworthy around cats like Osk & Gaia are, stop to put jackets on in cold weather (or whenever the dogs want to roughhouse) and maybe booties on year round if they wanted to go into the woodline to poo like O&G do ... don't know that it would work, but I'd love to open my home to them if it could!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
We had a Chow Chow and an Alaskan Malamute--both great dogs but I'd never own another one. Our Chow was one of a kind
never hurt a fly, was so gentle, rarely barked and overall, the best dog I've ever had. And the Malamute--he was a handful for sure, destroyed our yard, but such a fun and loveable guy. We fostered him for over a year until we placed him.

I love Newfoundlands and Leonbergers but don't think I'd ever own one just because our house isn't big enough. And I love Bichon's (only small dog I do love) but my husband says no way to a tiny dog.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts