German Shepherds Forum banner

What backup collar do you recommend when using a prong collar?

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Cassidy's Mom 
#1 ·
My dog will turn 6 months at the end of the month and I started researching into leash pressure and prong collars. Thinking about purchasing the small 2.25mm with a few extra links since many people recommend it instead of the 3.0mm (including Robert Cabrales and Ed Frawley) although I'm aware that many people prefer the 3.0mm.

Now I need to decide in a backup collar, I want something that I can easily remove when I get home (don't want to have a permanent collar). I'm considering the dominant dog collar since its light and he will not notice it much but also read a choke chain or fursaver is a good idea.

What are your suggestions? Also since he is only 6 months should I get it large enough to accommodate his growth? What size do you recommend?

Many thanks!

#4 ·
I just use my dog’s martingale collar as a backup, but I also only ever have the leash attached to the prong if there are loose dogs running around and I’m attempting to leave. I like the fact that the martingale is thicker and brightly colored, so if people do pass by, they aren’t as likely to notice the prong and offer their unwanted opinion.

#5 · (Edited)
I recommend martingale collar, Country brook petz martingale heavy duty nylon collar. This collar is perfectly adjustable for pups with sizes between 18 inch and 26 inch neck and it has a width of 1 inch makes this collar very comfortable for your pet. You can use this collar for training your pup as well since it is comfortable and very efficient. You can choose between 20 different colors.

#7 ·
Any collar that fits him now will probably not fit him once he's mature, so I'd go with an adjustable flat nylon collar for now. When he's older and has stopped growing you can get something nicer if you want, but I don't see any point in spending much on a collar that you'll need to replace in a few months or so. I prefer collars with a quick release buckle. This is what I used with Cava, she went through the small, medium, and large sizes as she grew: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EVQ5KLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are less expensive ones but I like the neoprene on the inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.