German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog will turn 6 months at the end of the month and I started researching into leash pressure and prong collars. Thinking about purchasing the small 2.25mm with a few extra links since many people recommend it instead of the 3.0mm (including Robert Cabrales and Ed Frawley) although I'm aware that many people prefer the 3.0mm.

Now I need to decide in a backup collar, I want something that I can easily remove when I get home (don't want to have a permanent collar). I'm considering the dominant dog collar since its light and he will not notice it much but also read a choke chain or fursaver is a good idea.

What are your suggestions? Also since he is only 6 months should I get it large enough to accommodate his growth? What size do you recommend?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
The dominant dog collar is also a correcting collar that needs to sit in the same place as a prong. Best to use a flat collar for back up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dog will turn 6 months at the end of the month and I started researching into leash pressure and prong collars. Thinking about purchasing the small 2.25mm with a few extra links since many people recommend it instead of the 3.0mm (including Robert Cabrales and Ed Frawley) although I'm aware that many people prefer the 3.0mm.

Now I need to decide in a backup collar, I want something that I can easily remove when I get home (don't want to have a permanent collar). I'm considering the dominant dog collar since its light and he will not notice it much but also read a choke chain or fursaver is a good idea.

What are your suggestions? Also since he is only 6 months should I get it large enough to accommodate his growth? What size do you recommend?

Many thanks!
I use a k9 collar on my dog because it has a handle so god forbid anything happens I can easily grab him this is the one I use it’s Velcro and a buckle and it holds up pretty well only had it slip off once because it wasn’t put on properly.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I just use my dog’s martingale collar as a backup, but I also only ever have the leash attached to the prong if there are loose dogs running around and I’m attempting to leave. I like the fact that the martingale is thicker and brightly colored, so if people do pass by, they aren’t as likely to notice the prong and offer their unwanted opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts