German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My philosophy is every dog like humans have their own individual. Respect them for that and be kind. Dogs will realize this and in return respect you and be really happy. Also dogs accept who we are so in return we should accept who they are. Trust me if they are not allowed to be who they are then anybody will miss out. I hate it when people tell me to shut up when I'm jumping around. Not going to disguise myself as a lazy couch potato unenthusiastic person. Same goes for dogs who are also persons. Dog are my friends, they are not property.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree to an extent, but I also see dogs like children, there is a time and place for play, but also a time and place for falling in line.

At the end of the day, I decide who sleeps on which pillow, and his is on the floor.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Except the really really annoying ones. I like to chop those ones up and feed them to my cat. :tongue:

OP, I think I remember you now. Didn't you post a similar thread a few months ago?

·
Registered
9,344 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I love my dogs dearly, I do everything and anything I can for them. They are NOT however people. They are not wired like us, can't think like us and sure don't act like us(thank heavens). They live in a human-centric world yet by design do not act like humans, so some guidance is needed. Heavy-handed jerking around isn't necessary as dogs are pretty well endowed with social behavioral traits, but a firm hand is needed. The more a dog understands that you(owner) is in charge the better off the dog will be, IMHO.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love my dogs dearly, I do everything and anything I can for them. They are NOT however people. They are not wired like us, can't think like us and sure don't act like us(thank heavens). They live in a human-centric world yet by design do not act like humans, so some guidance is needed. Heavy-handed jerking around isn't necessary as dogs are pretty well endowed with social behavioral traits, but a firm hand is needed. The more a dog understands that you(owner) is in charge the better off the dog will be, IMHO.
@bremo

Be open minded being wrong. The majority of humans thought world was flat. Minority knew the world was round. Who was right and who were wrong? Humans aren't dogs don't have the capabilities or intelligence to understand them more like dogs can. Dogs understand themselves and us more than humans do dogs. The more you respect and are kind to who he is the better off dogs will be. Seems kind of selfish phrase and silly "dogs are not humans". So how do you know you are right cause of silly books? You need plenty of personal experiences.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
this is a youth romanticizing about dogs.

My philosophy is every dog like humans have their own individual. Respect them for that and be kind. Dogs will realize this and in return respect you and be really happy. Also dogs accept who we are so in return we should accept who they are. Trust me if they are not allowed to be who they are then anybody will miss out. I hate it when people tell me to shut up when I'm jumping around. Not going to disguise myself as a lazy couch potato unenthusiastic person. Same goes for dogs who are also persons. Dog are my friends, they are not property.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I think I see what the OP is talking about in a way. Mainly because of my own spiritual path, sometimes I see animals as something....more? I don't know if that is the word for it really.

I don't see my dogs as people, and they of course need to be taught what they should/shouldn't do, etc.

However, while some people see a dog as a dog is a dog, I see them as more. Perhaps it's something I got from my Native American Grandmother, I'm not sure, but I do think on a more spiritual level there is an amount of give/take in regards to respecting an animal for what and who they are. I think part of that respect is about not treating them as something they are not. (ex: treating dogs as people)

My dog is my dog, legally I own them, I have to teach them what I want them to do, but on a different level they are my brother and they teach me as much as I teach them.

Maybe that made sense. lol

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
@bremo

Be open minded being wrong. The majority of humans thought world was flat. Minority knew the world was round. Who was right and who were wrong? Humans aren't dogs don't have the capabilities or intelligence to understand them more like dogs can. Dogs understand themselves and us more than humans do dogs. The more you respect and are kind to who he is the better off dogs will be. Seems kind of selfish phrase and silly "dogs are not humans". So how do you know you are right cause of silly books? You need plenty of personal experiences.

Ok, well, never mind. I don't really get what you are saying. lol.

Part of the respect you speak of is understanding the differences between two things. I find it disrespectful myself to lay biased understandings on something that has nothing to do with those understandings.

The respect is the striving to understand the differences and learning from them. IMO. Dogs/people, totally different. That doesn't mean that there can't be any respect and understanding there.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog is allowed on the bed so he can decide if he wants to lay
on his bed in our bedroom or jump on the bed with us.

I agree to an extent, but I also see dogs like children, there is a time and place for play, but also a time and place for falling in line.

At the end of the day, >>>>>I decide who sleeps on which pillow, and his is on the floor.<<<<<[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
15,195 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I love my dogs. I respect them for being everything dog (not human) and enjoy a working partnership with them and understanding how they see the world from a whole different view. I do not consider them my "friends".

A friend is going to bop me on the side of the head if I do something stupid. Is going to console me if I am in pain and talk with me about important things. A dog will simply "be there" and not judge, because it does not have that kind of discernment, but there is a place for that, too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
maybe a different take

I was taught, and believe that when you accept the responsibility of careing for an animal, you have entered into a covenant with God. You have agreed to take care of one of his creations to the best of your ability. You will recieve in return, in proportion to your care and training, the best that creation can give. It does not mean I treat them as people, nor do I go overboard with suplerfious extravagence.

As one who must deal with some of the less than desireable influences of a thirty year career in the US Army, I can say that the gift I recieve is sanity and comfort.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
5 years ago i would have been all over this! dogs are friends but i would not count of the respect thing because they just naturally realize it. I gave my rescue nothing but love and respect up until 7 months ago, she bit me, ripped food out of my mouth and hands and would not come to me unless i went to get her..it could have been the fact i treated her like a total baby and she got everything she wanted from me. I set some rules and within a week things changed for the better..instead of a dog that bit me when i came to her, i have a dog that i go to for love and she has not bit me since. They are friends and they are always in your hearts, they should be treated dearly and taken care of. They dont operate like people though.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.