German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asher loves his flirt pole and his kongs, but what are your dog's (or dogs') favorite toys? We have a big field and I was thinking of getting a toy that I could throw a little farther (especially if I've got the baby in the other arm). Anyone use a Chuckit? Are they safe?--I've been leery of tennis balls because I heard of a dog getting one stuck in his throat, but maybe that was an isolated incident?

https://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-26-Inch-Launcher-Larger-X-Large/dp/B00CI50JFG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

·
Registered
89 Posts
My dogs favorite toy is me!!!!!!!
We use the rubber chuckit balls not the tennis balls. Make sure you use a large enough ball that will not fit down the dogs throat.

Every dog is different, you must supervise your dog and remove any toys that are not used as designed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tennis balls get dirty pretty fast and it's not good for the dog's teeth to chew all that dirt,sand,etc. Months ago I bought a toy like that in the link for my girl, because she loves chasing balls. They had different sizes of tennis balls. But my girl broke the tennis ball after few fetches. The toy wasn't by all means cheap, the ball looked stronger than avarage tennis balls. I didin't let her chew it, we just played fetch with it.
Then I bought a solid rubber ball just for her. It's heavy and when you throw it it could get as far as a tennis ball thrown with that thing. It's very very easy to clean compared to tennis balls.
My boy Adolf who is 7 and a half years old(he has much stronger jaws than my girl's) has some Kong toys and hasn't broke any of them. Well, he has never been that fond of toys as my girl, but he has always prefered chewing a toy than playing fetch and none of his Kong toys haven't broken.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Mine is not really into toys. But she does like a small ball or squeaky toy she can chase at the park.
I don't like the chuck-it because if we are around other dogs, they all seem to want to chase it and then the dogs get too far away to be out of the owner's or my control.
I suppose if I had a large enclosed property I'd use it, but we only have a patio.
We also like the JW balls.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
Chuckits are good for throwing a good distance with minimal effort.Get large NOT medium.The medium is throat sized!!! Samson's favorite toy is a Jolly Ball.That would be awkward to throw with a baby in one arm though:)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ryka loves the kong rubber balls with the squeaky. She does eventually chew the squeaky part out, but it's a long piece that runs the length of the ball and isn't a choking hazard. She still likes the hollowed out balls which are throw-able and chew-able and not a hazard.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I'm thinking for a while it was my left arm was her favorite toy.....maybe it was my right arm...or my left leg...could have been my right leg I suppose.

Hands down, her favorite "toy" today is whatever I might kick with my right leg....a leaf..a stick...some snow or water...yep...I'm going with water.... I own her.

SuperG

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Holding a baby in one arm, something like this is pretty good. You can throw it by the rope underhanded and still get some pretty good distance because of the weight and not rock the baby all over.

Euro Ball With Rope Handle - All K-9 Inc

I tie a couple of knots in the rope so it isn't such an open loop.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
My guy has pretty much liked all of his toys. The favorites are his jute tug, tennis ball, tuff shark, kong, and a cheap squeaky stuffed octopus from target. He also loves shredding boxes and paper.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holding a baby in one arm, something like this is pretty good. You can throw it by the rope underhanded and still get some pretty good distance because of the weight and not rock the baby all over.

Euro Ball With Rope Handle - All K-9 Inc

I tie a couple of knots in the rope so it isn't such an open loop.
Those look great, probably good for tug and throwing. I'll have to order one. I was thinking about putting a rope through his kong so I could throw it farther also.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
mine love the kong frisbee and it's easier to throw than a ball, distance wise.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Tchai doesn't really like toys unless it involves interacting with me, so his favourites at the moment are tugs.

Sometimes I use one that looks like a lion and has a squeaky in it, I love that one :) I think it's made by Kong. I also have a bungee tug that I can swing around and get some good distance out of if I throw it. I think having a rope or something helps get some distance without too much effort on your part.

OH, and also this Aussie Dog bungee toy: AUSSIE DOG HEAVY DUTY BUNGIE CHOOK - My Pet Warehouse - you're meant to hang it around a tree or something but if I do that he doesn't play with it. Once I have it my hands he goes ballistic. We run around like nutcases and the bungee makes it easy on my back because he's so strong :) Mine has lasted over a year and barely has any wear and tear. BUT that's not very practical if you have to carry a baby :(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts