German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Claire and our baby Girl Scout (3 months old) has developed weird little white bumps on her belly, that she bites until they bleed. Any idea what may be causing this?
She was switched at a grain free diet because we thought that might help, but we haven’t seen any improvement. She is on flea and tick preventative too

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
To me, they look like fire ant bites. Those do itch a lot, so I understand that your pup would chew on them.

I don't know where you are located and you may be lucky enough to not have those where you live.

Cute pup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! It does look like a puppy skin infection. We’re treating it with hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment now. Hope it works!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
@Claire43013 try chlorhexidine shampoo. While hydrogen peroxide has it's place it's not used like it used to be. It has been discovered that peroxide actually kills healthy cells along with infection it comes in contact with and may actually slow healing. Chlohexidine shampoo is safe and vet recommended for bacterial and fungal skin infections. Just don't get it in the eyes.

You can find Chlorhexidine shampoo in some pet stores and on Amazon.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Last summer my 2 y/o dog had same thing in the same area. It looked really bad, would easily rupture with pus. Immediately gave her a bath and cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. First thing next morning made a vet apt. and when I took her in maybe 12 hours after first noticing there was zero evidence that they were ever there and never came back. From what the vet said it's a case of impetigo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts