German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow GSD lovers!

Our little 5 month old just had a crazy couple of days. He stopped eating and started vomiting on Sunday night.. we monitored him closely and kept in touch with our vet until getting him in the next day. He ended up having X-rays and our vet was instantly concerned about a bowel obstruction due to the gas buildup in his intestines. He had a barium study done so that the doc could see how his bowels were moving and the next morning, he looked to be out of the woods and was put on IV fluids and monitored. He got another X-ray and we got a call saying something didn't look right or feel right and that the vet wanted to operate ASAP. They went in and found the blood supply to his small intestine to be compromised due to a twist where his small intestine meets his large intestine, corrected it, and watched his bowels pink up and start moving properly within seconds. Thank GOD our vet decided to operate!!!!!! The twist was likely caused by the gas build up from the partial obstruction (dirt... ugh) and the gas pushed the intestine to twist. He made it though surgery great and was in overnight monitoring last night at our local ER vet (holy expensive) and he is eating today and got to come home to us. We have post-op care instructions from our vet, but the worry-wart that I am is wondering what I need to look out for as signs that something is wrong. They did end up cutting open a section of his small intestine so I'm mostly concerned about what it looks like when the bowel opens up internally.. aka my worst nightmare. Any advice or experience with this? We love our little guy and want to make sure his healing goes smoothly and quickly!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Sarah.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but I would expect if the bowel were to open up for any reason the symptoms you would see would be immediate and severe, so don't overly concern yourself with minor changes in behavior or appetite. And yes, thank GOD the Vet caught this quickly! If he shows signs of bloating or changes quickly in terms of activity, alertness, or comfort, I'd be on the phone immediately. Chances are though, that since the Vet caught this and operated, he will recover just fine. Best of luck to you and your dog for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
So glad your vet caught that in time. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Bowel movements are importany to keep track of good sign the system is working well. Keeping him quiet will be the hardest thing to do once he is feeling better but so important. Again call your vet if you see something that is different.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would be concerned about why my pup is eating dirt, as well. Boredom, mineral deficiency, IBS or something else? Dirt is dirty, full of chemicals and nasty organisms. As you already know, it can also cause blockages.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Be alert for pain -- and any signs of internal bleeding (white gums). Please keep him from jumping!!! Even jumping off a couch is too much after major surgery.

Do you have a bottle of Vetericyn wound care spray? If not, I've seen it for sale at Petco, Tractor Supply, and on Amazon --

https://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Pl...30235524&sr=1-1&keywords=vetericyn+wound+care

I spray surgical incisions on all my foster dogs with it -- the vet uses a stronger version of it post-surgery, so she was very happy with me doing this. Its active ingredient used in human hospitals for wound care -- lots of medical literature on its usefulness preventing infection. It speeds healing of the incision, which is probably the most likely spot for a problem. Spraying it also forces you to check the incision daily, to make sure it's drying out and doing what it's supposed to do (no oozing, etc.).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts