German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you search "most popular breeds" in the U.S., the data is usually taken from AKC registrations and in 2012 the top 3 were:
Labs
GSD's
Golden Retrievers

But when I look at the around my city and county that does not match.
Where I live the top three breeds I see are:
Labs (all colors) and Lab mixes
Pitbull and pitbull mixes
Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes

About 5-6 years ago I'd say the Australian Shepherd would have been up there, its funny how these trends change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In my area there's a half dozen mini-mutts (mixes under 25lb), a few Newfoundlands, and lots of chihuahuas/yorkies. The latter have seriously hilarious haircuts around here - no two are the same.

I think Nova is the first GSD in the neighborhood.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Lhasa Apso
Shih tzu
Lab and Lab mixes

I've seriously met ONE other GSD in my area since moving in July and it was a illtrained nerve bag :( Needless to say I never offered for a meetup with it, I've met some GSD mixes that were awesome however.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
In my neighbourhood there's a lot of Labs and GSD mixes.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Pit/pit mix, so many it's unreal. Lots of fighting too, big money around this area.
Coon and bear hounds
Rat Terriers maybe a tie with Huskies.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
we have a lot of labs, mainly because this is a good duck hunting area. A lot of Goldens & GSD's but recently there has been a rise of Beagles. Maybe there aren't as many as we think, but we sure hear them over anyone else!
A house down the street got a puppy and they leave it out for an hour or better every evening around dinnertime... we've resorted to closing our living room windows and turning up the tv.

Huskies are also popular around here because the nearby college mascot is the husky, including our high school mascot.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Labs
Lab mixes
Lap dogs

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
The CKC says (I could only find 2011) says Lab, GSD, Golden Retriever.

In our area, I'd say it's a tie for 1st between Maremma and Great Pyrs, just because we're in the country and our area has the second highest concentration of coyote in the province. Here in town, a lot of terrier mixes and hounds.

My cousin has a Border Collie kennel and she said, 10 years ago, she did a ton of business down in this area, her dogs were sought because they are worked to herd, they are bred and raised to work on a farm. Now she says her bread and butter for the kennel is her holistic and homeopathic line of products and she maybe does 2 litters a year. The neighbor around the corner has the dog trailers and they hunt coyotes, I haven't seen his dogs, but the coyotes are such a problem here and so brave even donkeys and Alpacas with dogs cannot keep livestock safe.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hound Dog mixes/Pit Mixes
Labs
Retriever

The Hound mixes and Pit mixes are prevalent as well as Labs and Retrievers. KZoppa was the first GSD owner I actually met up with. I've only seen a few other GSDs in the 3 years I've been here and they've all been not friendly/owners not friendly. I'm not counting the GSDs on the SAR team nor the K9 Officers that I am acquainted with.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Chihuahuas and toy poodles seem to be the majority where I live. I would say pits and pit mixes are second and goldens third.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Well, the two top breeds turned into the shelter (which I believe is the second largest one in the country) are pit bulls and Chihuahuas.

I think if pits were able to be registered with AKC, those numbers would be dramatically different. (Popularity on the AKC site, I mean).

I'd guess labs/lab mixes to be next, after pits and Chis.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
My neighborhood, its chihuahuas and pit/pit mixes. We do have a couple of neighbors with gsds now. One of them was found with ID tags, but when they called the owner they said to keep him, nice looking sable male. The other I'm not too sure about, its a blk & tan female.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts