German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

My pretty much sickly pup has always been told at the vet that he looks fine while walking.

His first trainer used to say he walked like a show line regular dog.

He does not have a bunny hop while running. He does not struggle to sit nor to get up. He loves stairs (big ones next to some churches in the city).

His second trainer keeps telling us he has Hip Dysplasia (he has never had a german shepherd, he mostly trains Belgian Malinois). Our puppy has been raising his back leg, he is limping one leg up. The vet said he must be jumping and making more exercise (which is true his classes and socializations of lately are far more than he was getting before).

The vet insists he is normal and he is just hurt, out of a bad jump (he is reactive and also loves fetching on the air lately). But since I insisted they will perfom the x rays this week. He is going to a year in a couple of weeks, and he is around 90lb.

Is there any opinion or something you might share? I am really scare. I love the little guy and I do not want him to suffer.

Video around 5 months

Video of him at 9 months (we were terrible on our leash skills)

Video of him at 11 months

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
How long has he been limping? If it's been more than a couple days, x-rays might be a good idea just to rule out anything more serious--as it seems like you are planning to do. I'd limit his exercise and be careful with the jumps until he stops limping. Perhaps, the vet could give you an anti-inflammatory for his pain. I hope he feels better soon. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only way to see hip dysplasia is with X-Rays. How old is the dog now? Holding his leg up could be an issue in many different areas besides hips. Foot, hock, knee, lower back can all cause pain in the leg as well. Get his looked at. That's the only way to know.

The dog is going to be 1 year old in around two weeks.

The vet looked at it yesterday. But told me to wait a couple of days for a x-ray.

He has been limping for 4 days I think. We run three times through some stairs outside of a Gym last weekend.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long has he been limping? If it's been more than a couple days, x-rays might be a good idea just to rule out anything more serious--as it seems like you are planning to do. I'd limit his exercise and be careful with the jumps until he stops limping. Perhaps, the vet could give you an anti-inflammatory for his pain. I hope he feels better soon. Let us know what you find out.

He has been limping around 4 days.

The vet looked at it yestarday. She did not give him medicine for that, just a shot, because he has always been on medicine for everything (parvo, coccidias, giardias, etc).

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
CarolinM.

Pssst. If at any time during the young, developing stages of GSD puppyhood a prolong limp occurs, stop all exercise, training ..... most of all jumping. Stop. Don’t limit. Stop.

If your vet suggests that he seems to have nothing significantly wrong, well, that’s great.

At the very least, as others have suggested here, ask your vet to give your puppy an anti-inflammatory for, hopefully, 10-14 days.

Meloxicam works wonders. Great stuff. Been there.

That’ll quiet things down for a bit, assuming nothing is structurally wrong. If it doesn’t, then you’ll have to reassess, quickly.

And if it does help him, I’d still go very light for a while with any physical “exercise”.

I wish you and your pup the best of luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any updates?
Hello, it has been a long time. But he is fine, he does not limp anymore, he is 2 years old now, we have a better and more structured trainer, he really cares about our dog and his health. We are still gonna take x-rays just out knowledge.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CarolinM.

Pssst. If at any time during the young, developing stages of GSD puppyhood a prolong limp occurs, stop all exercise, training ..... most of all jumping. Stop. Don’t limit. Stop.

If your vet suggests that he seems to have nothing significantly wrong, well, that’s great.

At the very least, as others have suggested here, ask your vet to give your puppy an anti-inflammatory for, hopefully, 10-14 days.

Meloxicam works wonders. Great stuff. Been there.

That’ll quiet things down for a bit, assuming nothing is structurally wrong. If it doesn’t, then you’ll have to reassess, quickly.

And if it does help him, I’d still go very light for a while with any physical “exercise”.

I wish you and your pup the best of luck.
He is fine now. He is 2 years old. We try to keep a good weight, though, he is not a small dog, around 100 to 102lb. But thanks (he did take meloxicam haha).

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Awesome.

Sorry for not viewing dates better than I did.

Gotta be a way to stream line or categorize older posts better.

Lesson learned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts