German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Thought I would ask a quick question.

I am currently feeding TotW (switching between kinds ocean, wetlands & prairie) and an occassional whole egg (maybe 1 or 2 a week). Malfoy, Axel, Breaca & Moxie have gleaming coats and they are nice and full and soft. Foster Ziggy has a lot more shedding than the rest of my dogs and his coat is very dry. He is the only one with this problem. Jinx has a full coat that doesn't feel too dry, maybe a little dryer than the rest of my gang but not as bad as Zig. Jinx is a tri colored sheltie and his black is just not as shiney as Moxie's and Breaca and even Malfoy (who is white). It just looks like a flat black, not glossy black like Moxie.

So.. Since everyone is getting the same food.. what would be causing a dull dry coat? Any suggestions to improve the sheen and texture? If I add supplements, then everyone will get supplements pretty much. The four "house" dogs share and switch bowls so what one gets, they all get.

I spend more on dog food than on my food lol and do not have much left over cash wise. So I am looking for something cheap, easy to do or get that will show some good results. Ziggy will be going for a thyroid check soon at rescue's request to see if that is a problem. Any other tests that should be done on the flat/dry coated dogs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
648 Posts
What breed is Ziggy?

Dogs are all different and one food or diet can not guarantee a shiny coat on all dogs.

If this is a relatively new diet for the foster dog, it may take a complete shedding of the old coat before the new and improved coat comes in.

Lots of brushing and stimulation of the skin has helped some of my dogs.

I feed a raw egg every night to my dogs. I don't know if once a week does much. I also supplement once a day with 1200 mg. of fish oil caps that I buy for myself.

I think some dogs just need extra help when it comes to their coats. My Bull Terriers coat changes depending on where I am living at the time and the climate. My GSD's coat seems to always remain in excellent condition.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ziggy is a white gsd.
I have had Zig for going on about 3 months. He has been on TotW for at least 2 months (first month was pinnacle).
Thanks for the suggestions.
More are welcome

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Check with your vet, it could be an underlying health issue.

Nitro has always had a dull dry coat, even with Fish oils and all kinds of other stuff. But he was also exhibiting other problems too. he had rapidly gained weight, seemed to feel the cold more, was getting tired faster. Worked out nitro has an extremely low T4 Level, and was infact Hypothyroid. So he's now on 1.6 of Levothyroxine a day. He's doing much better.

Not saying for one minute that that is what is wrong with Ziggy, but it might be worthwhile getting him checked. Just incase there's a medical reason.

Another thing i do with nitro, is a Moisture Mist Conditioner from Veterinarians Best, I got it at petsmart for about $15. Salmon Oils or Fish oils help also. AS well as being good for their circulation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts