German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Banned
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am curious to know if there are any known serious/hard gsd lines left and what they are. Thanks for any and all information.

·
Banned
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No assumptions Julian, its just my firm opinion that you can read so much stuff about Czech, East German, West German, and none of it is as important as the the knowledge of the breeder and its always better to see then read. One person's "serious" is another's "Mule"
No worries, I didn't mean Czech vs DDR vs WGWL... I was more curious about the actual sire and dam lines known for producing more serious/hard dogs. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
What do you consider serious?

·
Banned
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is a difference between active and reactive aggression.

the difference is seen in the dog in the "normal" state - when no aggression of any sort is needed.

there is an aura of power and will
Yes, there is an aura. It's a bit hard to explain but I feel as though I know it when I see it. Anyways, do you know of any lines like this?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My thoughts on this, why not just get a nice, social, confident, high drivey dog and work him or her in a protection sport with reputable people.

Learn all you can and title the dog. IPO, ring, something with a good reputation and good people in the sport.

You like that dog, and she's got what it takes, go ahead after that and train her in some basic PPD work. It's not a huge leap from IPO to PPD with most dogs. Even prey can be channeled into some pretty serious "aggression".

I know next to nothing about GSD lines, except that I like what I see in some GSDs, when I see it. I am far more familiar with malinois pedigrees.

Where are you living that you see a need for a dog staying in the fight? All it takes is one look at my big male staring at them from a sit at my side, and next to nobody will bother me.

Many people have an almost primal fear of a big, strong, pointy-eared dog. Use that, and you won't need the dog to engage or stay in a fight, unless you are really in a bad area. And then-rock-paper-scissors... gun over dog.

Of course I am assuming you've got rock solid OB and a good human-dog relationship.

·
Banned
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My thoughts on this, why not just get a nice, social, confident, high drivey dog and work him or her in a protection sport with reputable people.

Learn all you can and title the dog. IPO, ring, something with a good reputation and good people in the sport.

You like that dog, and she's got what it takes, go ahead after that and train her in some basic PPD work. It's not a huge leap from IPO to PPD with most dogs. Even prey can be channeled into some pretty serious "aggression".

I know next to nothing about GSD lines, except that I like what I see in some GSDs, when I see it. I am far more familiar with malinois pedigrees.

Where are you living that you see a need for a dog staying in the fight? All it takes is one look at my big male staring at them from a sit at my side, and next to nobody will bother me.

Many people have an almost primal fear of a big, strong, pointy-eared dog. Use that, and you won't need the dog to engage or stay in a fight, unless you are really in a bad area. And then-rock-paper-scissors... gun over dog.

Of course I am assuming you've got rock solid OB and a good human-dog relationship.
Ugh, what are you even talking about? If you don't know the answer then don't go off on some assumption based rant. All I asked is which lines were known for producing serious/hard dogs. Maybe it's something I want to avoid? Maybe it's something I need? Maybe it's just something that I'm curious about? Doesn't matter, mind your own business please.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
No worries, I didn't mean Czech vs DDR vs WGWL... I was more curious about the actual sire and dam lines known for producing more serious/hard dogs. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.
I'd see different dogs ideally over time, through training and then the actual performance of the work or sport then see how the different opinions of serious, active,reactive, whatever, fits. It will give you a different perspective then taking the descriptions and opinions and trying to fit dogs into it. See what I mean?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I know of one breeder/line of dogs (I've met 2 females from one breeding in person) that are for the lack of a better word INTENSE. I know she breeds working dogs and I've been around shepherds for most of my life, but never met any that had the drive/look that while not ever being afraid of dogs I was cautious about approaching. I'm in Canada but if you want the name of the breeder PM me. Not sure if she would consider you(or me, lol) for one of her pups, I never met her but heard she is very specific about who her dogs go to.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Hi,
I am curious to know if there are any known serious/hard gsd lines left and what they are. Thanks for any and all information.
Do you mean like SCH/IPO, military, K9, or just down right mean watch dogs. When I think of a hard German Shepherd for some reason I automatically go to closed line Czech German Shepherd, and closed line DDR german shepherd. Dogs of the past. Maybe a couple breeders that have been able to keep the lines closed but most are a mix of different lines.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts