German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a fun thread where you can post some things you do with your dog to stay active :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Yesterday I started teaching the mutt monsters to climb a collapsible stepladder.

It's not really for anything, I was just starting to get annoyed with Pongu's regression on his dumbbell retrieves and we had the stepladder out to work on the air conditioner earlier this week, so I figured why not, I'll teach the dogs to climb the stepladder so we have something fun and goofy to work on. Plus it'll probably work their muscles in some unusual way.

It's going pretty well after the first session. I need to stabilize the base a little better (they're big dogs and they tend to push it backwards as they climb) but I figure we'll have it done by Monday or Tuesday if I keep going with it.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
We hike & camp all year. We are heading out today for a overnight stay. We love it. You say hike or camp around Rusty and he gets really excited. I have taken alot of group training classes with him, have not since last winter however.

Really, anything that gets us outside. I am so at peace being in nature.

My husband has taken him rappelling several times. He does awesome. Very trusting & just goes with it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discoe and I bike about 2.5-3 miles 4-5 days a week (and we walk the days we don't bike). It's just a simple ride from my house, down past all the city buildings, around the park and back. It's nice because we pass the courthouse, police station, recreation building and high school, so there's no shortage of people who want to stop and say hello. In the park, there's a little forest, there's some little fun things for her to play on, a giant hill that lets out into a baseball diamond. Any one of those things is guaranteed to distract us on our ride/walk.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ah I stick to the ordinary Fetch! Until now, I didn't know anything about flyball etc...

Am thinking of putting my pups in shutzhund or training, and teaching them myself as much as I Can.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Walking, hiking, swimming, camping (only did one night this year because I really haven't had time this summer :( ), playing with the flirt pole, lots and lots and lots of training, doggy play dates, going to the drive in, going to the beach, going to fairs/festivals...

The list goes on and on and on lol Penny and I are VERY active

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Yesterday I started teaching the mutt monsters to climb a collapsible stepladder.

It's not really for anything, I was just starting to get annoyed with Pongu's regression on his dumbbell retrieves and we had the stepladder out to work on the air conditioner earlier this week, so I figured why not, I'll teach the dogs to climb the stepladder so we have something fun and goofy to work on. Plus it'll probably work their muscles in some unusual way.

It's going pretty well after the first session. I need to stabilize the base a little better (they're big dogs and they tend to push it backwards as they climb) but I figure we'll have it done by Monday or Tuesday if I keep going with it.
Are you afraid they may get their leg caught? My kids have a play house on stilts, its 6' off the ground with a ramp down to a second lower level and a 5 rung wood ladder attached to that. Tuke flys up and down it, but until today the other two dogs wanted nothing to do with it. Now Ranger is climbing it and I'm concerned they will miss step going down. I think I'm going to put a board behind the rungs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts