German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using zuke's mini naturals, Bil Jac's liver bits(?) and once in a while deli lunch meat. We feed our puppy Royal Canin kibble with a tablespoon of warmed canned food(Blue Buffalo Lamb) mixed in. It seems to like it this way. Please let me know if there are any issues with this.

I would really love suggestions on what would be high value treats for it for training/ good behavior rewards purposes?

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Cut up stew meat or beef - great for training
I second this.
Bought a cheap cut of beef, dropped it in boiling water just to take off the raw edge, because I don't want to be handling raw while out of the house.
I cut it into tiny cubes and froze them.
Easy to defrost when needed.
Works great!.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I feed it raw - like that better

Easier to freeze slightly first before you chop up into smaller cubes.
Cutting some up before heading out to the club today...this is how it looks:

Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I wish I developed a better food drive with Sylar from the start at 8 weeks.

With that said when searching for training treats in the beginning I tried just about every quality treat available. I wasn’t able to really get the response I was looking for with treats at mainstream pet stores. (Although) the best responses I got where with Pet Botanic rolls. I then tried AS A TEST hot dogs, cheese, bacon, and meats. (Keep in mind this was just testing for responses as bacon is high in fat and can affect the pancreases and cheese is high in calcium which can affect bone growth).

What I found that works best is exactly what gbchottu and Sunflower recommends. We use small cut up beef cubes that we freeze. I slightly cook mine before freezing as I rather not handle raw food when training and less messy when it de-thaws. This is what worked the best for me (in distractive areas). More importantly the treats are more malleable and don’t break apart as easy which really helps luring the dog into a position.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I use these venison and wild brush tail treats I get from this specialty store. He goes nuts for them. I second what nancy said about the well ness salmon treats too. Dehydrated raw has worked well too. He loves the Stella and chewy duck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I wish I developed a better food drive with Sylar from the start at 8 weeks.
on.[/SIZE][/FONT]
I'm not sure you can blame this on yourself. I thought it was genetic. Some are more food motivated, others more toy motivated.

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I understand soft treats are safer when training than dehydrated?
Or is it just that they're quicker to feed and the dog doesn't sit there crunching them?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I'm not sure you can blame this on yourself. I thought it was genetic. Some are more food motivated, others more toy motivated.

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I understand soft treats are safer when training than dehydrated?
Or is it just that they're quicker to feed and the dog doesn't sit there crunching them?
Have a funny story about treats and training.

Sylar was about 12 weeks when this happened. We were at puppy classes. We were working with treats to lure dogs for attention. The trainer’s assistant (which is very green) noticed that Sylar wasn't eagerly following the food lure. So she came up and said you need a higher quality treat and proceeded to demonstrate how to correctly lure the dog with her treats. Sylar didn't care for the treat so she said "he just needs to taste it". She literally put the treat in Sylar’s mouth. She then said "See...that's how it's done.". She turned to walk away and just at that second Sylar spit the treat out clear across the room where another dog ate it!!!

This was about the time the real trainer stepped in and said some dogs just aren't as food motivated. Either way I am still working with what I got and do most training sessions an hour before his meal time.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Toys, primarily tug are our primary motivator but I am glad to have food drive because it does help with reps of a new behavior.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
I like Zukes and the Wellness treats that Nancy mentioned. I've also used cut up Natural Balance quite a bit in the past, but I prefer having treats that aren't messy and don't need to be refrigerated. Lately, these are my treats of choice - the 90% Meat Air Dried: Real Meat Pet Food

White Dog Bone's prices are a bit less than ordering directly from the company: Real Meat Thawed Raw Dried Dog Food Beef 2lb | WhiteDogBone.com

That 2# bag lasts a LONG time! And I've never met a dog who didn't love it - I have dogs in our flyball club mugging me for some all the time. I also really like Salmon jerky, but this is a bit more expensive: http://www.costco.com/Wildsky™-Salmon-Jerky-Treats-for-Dogs-Two-24-ounce-Bags.product.11616688.html

The jerky pieces are larger than Real Meat, (which is the perfect size for training treats), but can be broken up with your fingers as you go.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
The trainer’s assistant (which is very green) noticed that Sylar wasn't eagerly following the food lure. So she came up and said you need a higher quality treat and proceeded to demonstrate how to correctly lure the dog with her treats. Sylar didn't care for the treat so she said "he just needs to taste it". She literally put the treat in Sylar’s mouth. She then said "See...that's how it's done.". She turned to walk away and just at that second Sylar spit the treat out clear across the room where another dog ate it!!!]
Heheheh... I remember being young, and knowing everything.;)
Nothing like making an arse of yourself in front of a whole class you're supposed to be teaching.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have a funny story about treats and training.

sylar was about 12 weeks when this happened. We were at puppy classes. We were working with treats to lure dogs for attention. The trainer’s assistant (which is very green) noticed that sylar wasn't eagerly following the food lure. So she came up and said you need a higher quality treat and proceeded to demonstrate how to correctly lure the dog with her treats. Sylar didn't care for the treat so she said "he just needs to taste it". She literally put the treat in sylar’s mouth. She then said "see...that's how it's done.". She turned to walk away and just at that second sylar spit the treat out clear across the room where another dog ate it!!!

this was about the time the real trainer stepped in and said some dogs just aren't as food motivated. Either way i am still working with what i got and do most training sessions an hour before his meal time.
lol!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I get beef livers from the local butcher, I bake them and chop them into small pieces, the dogs love them and they're not too messy. I put them into small bags and freeze some...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where can I get raw knuckle bones? From a regular grocery store, or would I have to go to a butcher? I probably sound ignorant, but I am not all too familiar with the raw meat section :).

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
I've used Ziwipeak too, and overall I like it, but I did get some cat treats from them that had mold on them and I had to throw them away. I've never gotten a Real Meat product with any issues, so I prefer it to the Ziwipeak for that reason alone. Since I bought it online I couldn't return it, but I would use Ziwipeak again if I bought it locally and could return it if there were any problems. It's very easy to break up into little pieces for use as training treats.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
we decide what's high value but that doesn't mean it's high value
to the dog. i think there's high value in praise and petting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My dog really likes Tricky Trainers Chewy liver treats - they're healthy, tiny, and not crumbly or messy. She likes the crunchy ones too, but the chewy ones really get her attention.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts