German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is Jax. I'm a 7 month old GSD ...? My ears have not stood up, not even once! My parents rescued me when I was a 3 month old puppy. My mom doesn't care what I am, She loves me for who I am. Some people have said I am a Lab x GSD, another lady swears up and down I'm a rottweiler x GSD. Both my parents talked about DNA testing, but they talk it over with my vet and apparently its very inaccurate! So They are turning to you guys on this forum.

My Color has been changing the last month!
I had a Reddish-Cream Under coat that is now all black, Except for my neck and my legs.
My Belly use to be all black, Its now all cream.
My "Leg Pitts" (Like arm pits, but by my legs!) are now cream. It seems to be spreading, The colour is the size of my palm. They are currently very short hairs. From first glance, it looks like I'm balding.

I "Glued" his ears, They've been standing straight up (With the help of cardboard inserts) He Has lots of bones to chew on, They've been helping with his ears! I'm not too worried about his ears, he looks adorable anyways!

Could he be PB, Mixed, Is it possible to tell?
Thanks for the input !

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I'd say that you have a pure-bred German Shepherd puppy with floppy ears! Very happy boy at that! GSD pups normally are very dark as puppies, and lighten up as they grow. He is awful cute! (and THANK YOU for the kitty cat picture bonus! LOL!)

Can you get a picture of standing, from the side? How big is he, how much does he weigh?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
he looks like a GSD to me. Defiantly don't see any Rottie in him

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I forgot to add, The bottom of his legs are turning black too! you can see in the picture below!

His undercoat by his neck

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know. He is awfully cute, though. I would say GSD mixed with something else...almost like an Aussie-type dog, a Border collie or collie? That one side view makes him look like he has that Rottie-type head.

·
Registered
332 Posts
His tail curls up - so I'm curious where that may be coming from....thoughts? Husky? Just throwing that out there - :)

He is very cute and looks like he just wants to please!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My guess is a mix. The curly tail and the head don't look PB. Mixes are nice. My last dog was a mutt and we loved her dearly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tail is him being dominet,
Its only up once and awhile, We just finished a game of tug, (I let him win) So he was all proud of himslef..

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I think people pulled the rotti idea from the ticks of light tan above his eyes. But he doesn't have that rotti head. Rottis heads are blocks....

I'm no GSD expert but I think he has more a collie face. But I think he is so cute, no matter if he is or isn't a mix!!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I do agree he's a mix, and I don't think the ears have anything to do with it (my first GSD was a soft ear). But in this case, perky ears or not, he looks mixed to me but with what I'm not sure.

The tail up is not him being dominant. It CAN be a sign of dominance depending on the circumstances, but some dogs just naturally have a higher tail carriage and some even curl.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My guess is 3/4 GSD, 1/4 Aussie.

A friend of mine has a dog who is 3/4 Lab 1/4 chow. She mostly looks like Lab, but her fur is a little coarser, she carries her tail different, and her ears are a tid bit small for a lab.

Your dog seems very heavy on the GSD, but something seems a bit of a different breed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The tail is him being dominet,
Its only up once and awhile, We just finished a game of tug, (I let him win) So he was all proud of himslef..
There's one picture where he's laying down and his tail is laying on the ground and has a 'natural' curl to it. So, I'm not sure that is a 'dominent' sign. I'd be curious to know what influence of breed that is coming from.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
There's one picture where he's laying down and his tail is laying on the ground and has a 'natural' curl to it. So, I'm not sure that is a 'dominent' sign. I'd be curious to know what influence of breed that is coming from.
there are GSD's that have curly tails. It's a fault but it does happen. It's called a Gay tail. A curled tail could just mean bad breeding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts