German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious- I have a working vest that I use for my bully and I was wondering if my 11 month old shepherd can use it. I walk him, play fetch, tug of war, take him jogging and I get more tired than he does. I even put him on the treadmill and it does not phase him. He has release some of the built up energy. Is he too young for a working vest?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
What's a working vest?

If it adds extra weight to him, I wouldn't put it on him until his growth plates had finished growing, for sure growing.

You doing off leash hiking? How about Chuckit in the field? Swimming? Those work best to really tire out my dogs. Anything on a leash is not exercise for them at all.

Alot of time mental PLUS physical exercise wear out my dogs. So socialization trips and classes/seminars in herding, tracking, rally and agility help with that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it has weights. No off leash hiking. There isn't any trails near me. I do have to do things to mentally tire him out. They do walk alot on the leash. I just need new activities. I think I'm going to try swimmming as well. The closest dog park is close to 40 mins away. Thank you for the input

What's a working vest?

If it adds extra weight to him, I wouldn't put it on him until his growth plates had finished growing, for sure growing.

You doing off leash hiking? How about Chuckit in the field? Swimming? Those work best to really tire out my dogs. Anything on a leash is not exercise for them at all.

Alot of time mental PLUS physical exercise wear out my dogs. So socialization trips and classes/seminars in herding, tracking, rally and agility help with that.

YouTube - My Hiking/Swimming Girl Dogs (and Quinn!)

YouTube - Glory v Wildhaus - 15 m old - June 2010 Agility Class

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
My dogs in a large field (any school? soccer field? softball field?) plus me with a chuckit can wear my dogs out in about 15 min (or less).

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
With 3 dogs..love that this one added a HILL!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too grew a little bored of just walks since I live in the middle of a city. Ordered the "WalkyDog" attachment for bikes and it has been great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool.
That chuckit toy is new to me lol but the video looks like it can be an awesome toy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts