German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What were some of the milestones in your dog’s age as it reached maturity? I have a 1 year old gsd that has grown fully in height and length but is still filling out. At what age do you feel your gsd fully filled out? Also, what were some changes in personality you noticed, and at what age did these changes take place?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Following... Interested in this myself! I adopted a 3 year old a few months ago. She has a lot of spunk but also a decent off switch... Knows when it's walk or dinner time and gets excited and whiny, but is pretty good at chilling out the rest of the time. She's chilled out more the longer I've had her as she gets more comfortable with this new life, but she's generally a nervy dog and I sorta hope she ages out of some of that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would think around 2 is a good mature age but I don't think my girl is ever going to stop being goofy :p. She is filled out and usually acts like an adult. However, as soon as she has another dog to play with or sees a ball to chase she is back to being a puppy again.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
Gia physically matured just after 3... she was a very lanky youngster. her personality remained the same, fairly serious in nature, training was a breeze, although she became less and less tolerant of other dogs as she grew older. we stopped visiting dog parks around 3. i don’t consider energy level to be directly related to maturity.... she had good energy into her senior years, as have my others.

Tilden never really matured physically imo (i adopted him at 10 months) but his full (long)coat came in sometime in his 2nd year... then became longer/fuller again around 8ish. he lifted his leg for the first time on his 2nd birthday.

Coda was 3 when she moved away with my ex, but it was right around then that i felt she was coming into herself... was more reliable.

Keystone matured the earliest. he’s been pretty consistent since 18 months or so. his body has changed quite a bit... he’s approaching 7, but he’s had some medical issues that i’m sure influenced that. his need to constantly be on the go has also lessened... maybe around 3 or 4

so... general consensus for me, 3! for my mashed up lines of rescues ;)

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Physically the females matured earlier but none filled in before 18 months. My male didn’t stop growing completely until he was about 2 and his body fully developed. Maturity wise, I have always noticed a big leap of maturity around age 2/12-3.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My Dobe/GSD mix (Dobes tend to mature later in life too) I feel has fairly recently, as in within six months, finally reached his peak of maturity and he will be 4 next month. He weighed 84 lbs when he was 8 months and stayed almost right there til he was nearly 3. Then he filled out a little, though he is still a leaner dog by nature, and he is more confident in himself. Plus I noticed just the most subtle physical hints, since I see him the most. He's now 90 lbs at 29 inches tall and in my opinion ideal condition. He's still silly but, in a more "controlled" manner if you will.

Now my GSD is 18 months old and while he is far more matured than previously, he is still a puppy. I forget sometimes because he's so much bigger and adult like, but just the way he regards certain things and sometimes is cautious of new stuff I ask of him reminds me he is still quite young. Also his general, playful, inquisitive persona. Although I do believe that is partly due to his personality as well as his age.

My now near 12 year old APBT was settled by the time she was about a year. She's been the same steady dog since, although now quite a bit slower (and sleepier) than earlier years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts