German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 week old German Shepherd does not have boundless energy. I was expecting much worse. What is your experience with your very young
pup? Is there an age range when your puppies had tons of energy?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Well I am not sure I remember what age it started but at 10 months old now we for sure have it! I think it started around 5-6 months. Enjoy the quiet now while you can, the pup is young and will sleep allot but look out later.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Mine got more active in her 4th to 10th months. We often wondered if she would ever stop moving (except when she slept at night). To be honest, we work and she is home all day except for her noon-time walker, so she did sleep most of the day. She started becoming a mature dog at 11-12 months and sleeps at our feet in the evening. Yes, she still does play a lot during that time too but it is not without those peaceful dog-at-your-feet periods.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My female puppy did not have a lot of energy at first either come to find out she was really wormy.She was 9 wks when I got her. Once she got fully vetted and comfortable with her new enviroment she got real energetic. She is now 14wks. Enjoy it while you have quiet time because it won't last for long. My male is almost 2 yrs old and he has more energy than the puppy.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well Masi is 2.5 and she's been an energizer bunny since I got her at 8 weeks, altho now I see her maturing, so she settles nicely

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I can't help but laugh. My trainer told me my 9 month old female is lazy. At first I was a little upset, but I have learned to enjoy every bit of her laziness!! Don't get me wrong she can be a fireball at times.

·
2,967 Posts
5 months, holy cow.
my mom and I kept going on about how calm she was, how easy she was to watch, etc.
She's 5 1/2 months old now, and it was like an automatic switch, one day she just woke up and hasn't slowed down yet :wild:
I agree with this. Tag went from being such a pleasant snuggly puppy that you could take anywhere to being some kind of crazy wild child that wants to run constantly and screams and whines when he's not included with something. Incidentally...he's still that way at 8 months. I don't expect him to start to settle down now until he's 2yrs.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Zoe at 10 months decided to revert back to her activeness and jumping at 4 months,lol. She was good until about a week ago and all the sudden as the weather has cooled off she has amped up:)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Molly is 3 and very active and probably will be for a while.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo is a year old. He is now always on hyper alert. He can go from a deep snooze to racing though the house/yard in a mere second. The world now belongs to him and he had to investigate anything and everything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
it was like an automatic switch, one day she just woke up and hasn't slowed down yet :wild:
Haha! I hope for a more gradual progression than that, but I'm glad I stumbled on this thread, because it makes me thankful for the slight amount of peace I get everyday.

I feel like Adalwolf is a lot more energetic now than he was last week, but he hasn't been here very long yet, so I don't have a lot to compare with. He is getting close to 3 and a half months, so we're feeling like we're sitting next to a ticking bomb!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Funny, they were the expected bundles of energy as little things, but crapped out early. Seems as though 5 mos was another burst of energy and growing, teething, all out puppiness. Now Uschi's a year and Stosh is 9 mos and it seems more under control but ready to unleash as soon as they hear the door handle open

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm getting a little nervous, I was hoping my 6 months old was getting ready to settle down... I'm running out of gas... lol... At least the mouthing is not as bad although he still mouth when he's excited...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts